Fiberglass: Small and Deep?

TechieTechie

Jun 4, 2020
Southern Great Lakes
So, here's another headscratcher. Anyone have a small fiberglass pool that's deep enough for a diving board? 8+ feet? Likely looking at houses with less than 1/2 an acre of land and there are no kiddos, so I'd prefer small and deep with a Fastlane (current to swim against).

I can't find a fiberglass pool less than 36+ feet with a diveable depth. I'm pretty sure our backyard pool growing up was 10x24x8 feet, and it was great.

Can't tell if it's the limitations of fiberglass construction or what...but it would be great to find a 24ish foot pool with a real diveable depth. Prefer fiberglass due to cost and maintenance (I'm a boat owner, fiberglass just seems 'right').

Thanks!

I think it has more to do with the codes for the slope. The general rule is 3 ft of distance for every 1 foot of drop. On the deep side you need about 12 ft to not hit the slope hard from diving in. So you need 30+ ft to accomplish this. Many things we had growing up have been drastically changed and standardized. My grandfather held me in his arms on the way home from the hospital when I was born. Totally acceptable at the time because ‘he held me GOOD and tight’. Lol.

For an 8' deep "hopper", you need 24' of length from the deep end wall to the break line. So that means your "deep end" will be at least 24ft long. It makes sense that 36' is the shortest length you can find with an 8' deep end because that would be a 12' long shallow end which is basically JUST big enough. My new pool has a 14ft long shallow end and I would not want to go any smaller.

Find out if your town has restrictions on depths amd slope. If not you can make a vinyl pool anything you want in depth. I haven't seem a 8ft deep fiberglass shorter than 32 ft. Its actually not safe as you need depth out from the wall as you dive in for the angle

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.