Fiberglass Pools - Southern CA Options

OasisDreamer

Mar 26, 2021
Fallbrook, CA
Anyone know of, had direct experience with, a great fiberglass pool company in Southern California recently? I'm dying to get one installed, but options seem very slim and there are plenty of shady folks in this industry.

I've been researching quite a bit about pools, never having owned one, and settled on fiberglass as the best option for us based on objectively weighing the "Pros" and "Cons" of the 3 types, fiberglass, gunite and vinyl. However, researching pool manufacturers to identify the best ones has been more challenging, though it seems like Leisure Pools in TN may be the best in terms of pure manufacturing quality. However, Leisure Pools has a very non-traditional approach whereby the buyer, to obtain one of their pools, must submit to a process that has them playing a sort of general contractor to get all the usual finishing steps completed, like coping, decking, electrical work and permit pulling. Also, according to Luis Savastano, a VP of Sales with LP (but who works out of Orange County, CA) and with whom I've been interacting, says he does not have a direct installation team. Furthermore, he has told me they do not have any local dealers or installers in my area. Instead, he said, he works with 5 installation teams that travel nationwide installing pools and that they sell factory direct, with no local Leisure Pools dealer. With that approach, another worry I have is their licensing - are they properly licensed to perform such in my town and are they bonded and insured.

Seems quite unreasonable for a homeowner who would shell out about $60K just for the pool shell and equipment to be installed would also have to do all sorts of things on their own to "finish" the job...and, in fact, to prep for the delivery by having all electrical, gas (for the spa and pool heater) and permit work to be done in advance. I'd rather pay a bit more to have a true, competent and ethical pool company install a high quality pool and do all the other tasks as well, including hardscape, fire pit, water features, etc. I'd also prefer the ability to reach out to a local company who would be responsive if anything came up post-installation (or during installation, for that matter). Kind of sketchy to think of handing over so much money to a company who uses 5 traveling installation teams, with whom there'd be little, if any, recourse if something was done wrong/sub-par. Also, reading BBB complaints about LP is quite disturbing and Luis's response was, literally, "There are a few complaints out of 2,800 pools we sold last year it is going to happen."

LP may, may have the highest quality pool and best practices with regard to construction, but I feel they fall FAR short on the customer service end and with regard to how they handle installations. Luis is not the most pleasant to deal with, and this is with me coming very close to forking over $60K or more to them. Coming across as Luis does where he makes it seem like I'm an inconvenience for asking what I consider are reasonable questions about the process, pre-sale, is also disturbing and gives me a bad feeling in my "gut". This entire project we're doing, for our 2-yr old home, is planned for about $100K (other landscaping elements, apart from the pool and surrounding hardscape/fire pit are planned) and I'd have thought it would be easy to find competent, ethical pros who'd be happy to help...but it's not easy at all. Where are the "good guys" in this industry??? I'm getting close to scrapping the entire pool idea and just doing hardscape, but being 61 this year and with my sedentary type of job, I really want to get a pool so we have ready access to good exercise, in addition to the fun we could all have with it. But I'm not throwing away $60K for a mistake either, I work too hard for my money, as we all do!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP :)

You have picked the hardest pool to install "correctly" and if not done correctly they are a nightmare... You are running into these problems because of COVID, people stayed home and built pools, thousands and thousands of pools and pool builders can pick and choose who they want to build a pool for, it is usually the highest bidder... Most are a year or 2 out for putting pools in the ground...

As for that company, no way would I do that.. Go with your gut and hire a local company that will do the pool you want..

Reactions: Casey
Welcome to TFP :)

You have picked the hardest pool to install "correctly" and if not done correctly they are a nightmare... You are running into these problems because of COVID, people stayed home and built pools, thousands and thousands of pools and pool builders can pick and choose who they want to build a pool for, it is usually the highest bidder... Most are a year or 2 out for putting pools in the ground...

As for that company, no way would I do that.. Go with your gut and hire a local company that will do the pool you want..
Thanks, appreciate the second opinion very much. My gut usually steers me in the right direction, just a sad state of affairs when so much $$ is involved and you're left with shady characters to deal with.

Reactions: Casey
With as many pool builders around your area you have a very good chance at getting the pool you want... I have 1 pool builder and they are not the best but all the rest are over 100 miles away..

Spend some time around here and get some ideas.. You may fall in love with a vinyl or concrete pool that will cost the same as that fiberglass one... :)

I'm going with a fiberglass pool and I wasnt involve with the idea. But... my pool build has been installing more fiberglass pools over the last 5 or so years than anything else and I decided to go with one. I'm actually surprised that I was able to get on his end of summer install schedule for nearly $70k.

Dont give up on your pool dreams. A fiberglass pool may not be in the cards for you in your area but I'm sure you'll find a pool builder who can build you a beautiful inground gunite pool for your price range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.