Fiberglass Pool settling

sonoma

May 3, 2010
Comments and suggestions welcome. I have a 14'x32', 10,000 gallon fiberglass pool. Installed 17 years ago. All is good. Dirt around pool settled over the years leaving a 5" gap under the concrete around the pool. Probably should have tamped dirt better but I am beyond that point today. Weight of concrete is pushing down on pool. There is a safety ledge step around the deep end that is showing evidence of the pool being pushed down. Not pushed down much, under an inch. The step is slanted toward the pool wall. My pool installer suggested removing an 8' band of concrete from around the deep end of the pool, backfill with dirt and cover with river rock or pavers. Sounds like the right thing to do but wanted to put it out here for any other ideas. I spoke to other installers and pool companies and they all suggested the same solution.

Attachments

• IMG_3456.jpg
    IMG_3456.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 74
Comments and suggestions welcome. I have a 14'x32', 10,000 gallon fiberglass pool. Installed 17 years ago. All is good. Dirt around pool settled over the years leaving a 5" gap under the concrete around the pool. Probably should have tamped dirt better but I am beyond that point today. Weight of concrete is pushing down on pool. There is a safety ledge step around the deep end that is showing evidence of the pool being pushed down. Not pushed down much, under an inch. The step is slanted toward the pool wall. My pool installer suggested removing an 8' band of concrete from around the deep end of the pool, backfill with dirt and cover with river rock or pavers. Sounds like the right thing to do but wanted to put it out here for any other ideas. I spoke to other installers and pool companies and they all suggested the same solution.
Meant to say 8 inch band of concrete.

Thanks duraleigh but the issue is under the concrete. The dirt around the pool has settled. Can’t photo that until I remove some concrete. I guess my question is this, is removing some concrete from around the pool and backfill with dirt the best solution to stabilize the pool and remaining concrete?

I think once you remove the 8" band from around the pool the rest of your deck may sink further since it is being supported now by the pool lip.

The right fix is demo the deck, install a solid base, and pour cantilevered coping. I think once you get started doing it right teh first time will be the most economical.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.