shellsingleton

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 10, 2008
Lafayette, LA w/pool in Hot Springs, AR
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
I have a 10,000 gallon fiberglass pool that’s been sitting for over two years. I plan to use it this summer but I have a lot of work to get there. We have been living out of state for a while now but plan to make use of the residence this summer and will be moving back the following summer. Hoping this thread will help keep me organized and motivated, and I welcome your input. This forum was a huge help getting my feet underneath me with my first pool over ten years ago.
The pool has a side skimmer and bottom drain, has 3 discharges. Plumbing is 1 1/2”.

The list:
*Evict the critters and remove as much leaves and detritus as possible. Took care of this last month when we visited the house over spring break. 3 huge bullfrogs, 2 huge red ear sliders, probably moved back in as we drove off. Used a large fish net for the big stuff and a fine mesh pool net after.
*Replace all the filtration equipment. Plan to upgrade to something programmable and that I can control via WiFi. Need advice to find a reputable online vendor.
*Repair 6” crack in shallow end(has been present for many years).
*Would love to refinish and paint the pool. Need to research if this is actually possible.

The current equipment is a FloTec pump with a 220V 1.5HP AO Smith motor, SF 1.0, the timer is an old mechanical model. Triton 2 sand filter, I think 350 pound model? I was using a Liquidator when we lived there. All is junk now. I have 110V available at the pad also.

The first thing I need to do is get the water clean so I can see what I’m working with. The motor on the pump went out two summers ago, I’m tempted to replace the electric motor so I can use the existing equipment for the cleanout work. There’s a ton of detritus on the bottom, I need a way to vacuum it out and it would be a shame to put the new pump through that abuse. Anyone got any better ideas? Siphoning bottom with a water hose wasn’t very effective when I tried it last month.

Equipment thoughts(open to suggestions)
*I went with the BBB method on my first two pools, but I’d like to go SWG this time. Need to research brands and capacities.
*I’m happy with the sand filter. Need to verify which size is appropriate.
*I think I’d like a variable speed pump, need to verify 1.5HP is correct size and see what SF would be appropriate.
*Thinking about adding a booster pump to power a cleaner, but I need to see exactly which discharge ports are supplied by each of the two return lines (from pump to pool). If I decide to go this route, I think I’d need to have an automated selector valve on the return lines so that I can isolate the other return line while the booster is running the cleaner.
*Need a modern control module capable of handling the above equipment, and user friendly so my wife and kids won’t struggle with it when I’m away.
Pic of the pond:29881656-4AD2-4999-8B8D-92B5769C6166.jpeg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: The BBB method is referred to at TFPC here since we do things just a little different, but there are some similarities. For the algae, you'll want to look at our SLAM Process page. Also remember that a salt pool and non-salt pool both rely on chlorine to sanitize, they just produce it differently, but it's the same end result - chlorine. For a sand filter, the general recommendation is the bigger the better for less cleanings. So if you have room on the pad, go BIG. Painting a pool generally has a questionable results, but certainly do some research of your own as well. With fiberglass, there is always the option of having it re-coated. In any case, we're glad you found us. Let us know if you have any other questions.

You can put a new layer of gelcoat.. Its done on boats all the time.. The good thing is it is holding water :)

As for pumps a VS is a great option and as long as the skimmer is working it should stop all the big stuff from getting to the pump... If the sand filter is still good you can use it but bigger is better (y)

Thanks for the warm welcome, I suppose I should go back and reread the basics to see if they have changed since I was more active on here from 2008-2012. Good to get a tuneup. I do have a good grasp on FC, CC and their relationship to CYA.
I’d like to get a recommendation on a brand for the new pool equipment. I don’t necessarily need the most prestigious but I need it all to work well together, be reliable and have a good user interface.
Also need to get a recommendation for an online vendor for pool equipment. You can message me if you prefer to keep your comments private.
Thanks, Shell

Shell,

About the only place that has some equipment right now is polytec pools and they are hit and miss.. with the great south freeze lots of equipment bit the dust..

Pentair is probably the best most reliable out there but Hayward is right there with them..

I'm just a nervous nelly and need to remind you that you can *not* drain that pool, especially in your neck of the woods with high ground water. A drained and empty fiberglass pool will float up and out.
Just needed to get that out....
Carry on!

Maddie ✌️

Casey, thanks for the tips. Both of my previous pools have already had equipment so I’ve never gone through the outfitting process. Pentair does seem dominant in market share. Hayward has been around a long time too. Anyone have an opinion on Circupool products?

Maddie, thanks for looking out. The pool is in Hot Springs, AR, much rockier soil and lower water table but I still don’t think it’s low enough to be safe to drain it fully. I remember speaking to a local installer who said there should be a vent of some type that is accessible through the bottom drain that would allow me to pump it out. I’m not sure what he was talking about, can anyone enlighten me? Is this a common device on FG pools?

I’ve also heard that paint is available that can be rolled on and cure underwater. Anyone have any experience with this? I know my coating is worn through to bare fiberglass in places by now. It was close before we moved.

I had mine recoated 12 years ago. Yes, pool must be completely drained. Surface needs to be cleaned and sanded first. Will be recoating mine again this fall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the response Diane, sorry mine is so late. 12 years is a long run, what coating did you use?
Not much to update yet on the project as I’ve been away from the house.
I have decided to replace the electric motor and rebuild my pump, will be ordering those parts this weekend. Sand filter and SWG soon after, plan to do the work in June.
Next season, I’m going to upgrade my pump and add a control panel when I do that. I need a swg now though. I need them all to integrate well when I’m finished, so do I need to stick to the same manufacturer for all the components(variable speed pump, control panel, saltwater generator)?
Would appreciate some opinions on which SWG to go with.

Thanks

Thanks for the response Diane, sorry mine is so late. 12 years is a long run, what coating did you use?
No idea what the contractor used. Probably wouldn't need recoat now, but injury + pump failure several years ago resulted in pool left in swamp state for 5-6 years. Spent all spring & summer last year reviving the pool. Finished after swim season was over - never got to swim. Had a couple of leaks repaired last fall; will check for other problems this swim season. At this point, recoat will be for cosmetic reasons.

Last edited:
Diana, that IS an amazing journey, haven’t finished the thread yet but thanks for sharing. :)
I have ordered the replacement motor and pump rebuild kit, the SWG(Autopilot Chlosync CS30), and the filter(Pentair C&C+ 320).
So far, I’ve only spent money. Hoping to be able to show some real-life actual progress beginning mid-June.
Filters were hard to find. Had to make several inquiries to determine what was actually in stock vs available to pay for/back order.
@cowboycasey Thanks for the recommendation about PolyTec, that’s who supplied the filter. Inyo was very helpful with identifying the replacement motor, ordered it from them.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Just got back to the pool, got most of the muck off the bottom today. I will be stirring in some chlorine tonight to get the SLAM started, but I have zero CYA. pH is 7.4, TA is 40, chlorine is zero, I’m going to bring it up to 20ppm tonight and add some CYA tomorrow. Will bump up the pH to 7.6 as well.
I will be swapping out the motor/rebuilding the pump tomorrow also.

Since your pool has been a swamp for so long, Do the 15 minute test to make sure you don't have ammonia before you add CYA. Add enough chlorine to hit 10 ppm and circulate for 15 minutes then re-test FC. If FC is 5 or less bump it back up to 10 and re-test again. Keep the 15 minute test/dose cycle going until the chlorine starts to hold (FC>5ppm), then add your CYA via the sock method and start off the slam with an hourly test/dose cycle.

Yeah man, thanks Casey! Pool ate 18ppm of chlorine over about 8 hours last night. Just checked and I’m at 2ppm now. About to go bring it back up to 20ppm. I’ll head out to find some stabilizer once the stores are open.
On a side note, MAN it is NICE to have a magnetic stirrer. Thank you TFTestkits.4E3828E7-851B-4EDB-96D5-821931C4CFAA.jpeg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.