Fiberglass Pool Proposal in TX - Feedback Requested

guitarshand

May 29, 2020
San Antonio, TX
I have spoken with 4 pool builders and am strongly considering a Fiber Glass pool with SWG. My home is on a green belt that is full of mature oak trees, and the pool will be located between 2 large oaks in our backyard.

General Specs:
Pool Size:
31'L x 15'W with a lounger/tanning ledge
Pool Depth: 4'-6'4"
Gallons: Approximately 13,500
Bench: 2 in deep end with walkout steps, 2 in middle of pool, 1 near stairs.

Finishes:
Pool:
Fiberglass
Waterline Tile: Our choice of tile (wide selection)
Decking: textured concrete (will apply same finish to existing 418sf covered patio)
Coping: Travertine, but we may upgrade to marble as we won't have to seal it like travertine - interested in feedback on this.

Equipment:
Controller:
EZ Touch Automation
Sanitation: Intellichlor salt system IC40
Pump: Intelliflo Variable Speed Pool Pump (3hp)
Filter: Pentair 520 Quad Cartridge Filter (went large due to oak trees)
Cleaner: Pentair Rebel is included, but I can upgrade to Prowler 830 for $500 more.
Heater: 140,000 BTU Electric Heat Pump - we are going electric as running a gas line from the opposite side of the property is cost prohibitive. Running electrical is only $1,750 (gas was over $10,000). We also plan to use the pool as close to year round as possible, so the Heat Pump makes more sense, especially with no spa.

Water Features & Lighting:
Lights:
2 Color Changing LED lights (need to get model number)
Water Features: We are choosing to go with no bubblers or waterfalls - I personally don't like the noise or being splashed while lounging.
Pool will include Dewatering System, 3 x Circulations Returns, Diverter Valve at Pump for waste out, 1 Skimmer.

$58,204
Rock excavation, relocating electrical, extra decking and resurfacing existing patio, and adding stairs will bring the total to approximately $72,000.

We will definitely have rock in our backyard, so they are charging $1,200/day for Rock excavation capped at $3,500. Due to the slope of our yard they are adding a turndown beam for $1,100. We are also having them add stairs down from existing covered patio, and having that concrete textured and painted to match the pool decking. Backfill and Sub-base will be gravel, not sand.

After interviewing 4 pool builders, I really like the one this quote is from. My only hang up is the payment schedule. What do you all think of this:
14% due at Contracting/Shell Order
15% due at Approval of Pool drawings
35% due 10 Days prior to Pool Set
35% due at Pre-Decking Pour
1% due at Project Completion.
Pool builder explained this is because it is a FiberGlass pool, so the schedule is completely different on Gunite build.

Thank you all for reading. I appreciate any and all guidance and feedback you can give. I'm ready to sign as early as tomorrow if everything looks good.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Looks pretty good.

Does the pre-decking pour include the concrete collar for the pool?

I would not want to be 99% paid before the concrete collar is poured and the pool is demonstrated to be level and stable in the ground with no bulges. I want at least 20% held back until that milestone is demonstrated.

Here is an article to read with some links to other interesting FG pool builds - Fiberglass Pools - Further Reading