Fiberglass pool outward bow.

janz3n

Jan 25, 2023
Canada
Looking for some InSite. My pool had been installed last year in the winter, I live in Canada and it gets cold -10 is usually as cold as it gets. It's a fiberglass pool which uses a concrete beam around it to "lock it " in place. They poured this concrete shortly after it was placed in the ground. I wasn't around for the install but it sounds like they did it proper by filling it while back filling. After the concrete was poured it was covered with tarps and it stayed like that till spring time.

Around spring time I needed to have the electrical and gas lines ran. Contractor wanted to re use my hot tub wire to save money. Little back story. I ran the hot tub wire along the front of my concrete patio about a foot away and 2 feet down my self. Pool was installed about 4or 5 feet from patio but when they dug the hole they exposed the wire half way along the patio so when they back filled the wire hung down lower and further from the patio. I had told the PB about this wire before hand but communication with him was non existent from the beginning.

Anyways. When it came time to run the electrical and gas for the pool I was going to run it where the hot tub wire was buried so I could remove that wire to re use part of it and run the new one and the gas line. This required to dig a trench between the existing concrete patio and the pool. If the wire had been out back before back filling it would have been easy and to dig it up but because it was now closer to the pool half way across It required to dig up some back fill to get it. This removed the back fill from under the concrete beam around the pool but only half way across the one side of the pool and about a foot down as I was able to pull the wire up from there.

After doing this and finally taking the tarps off we noticed the entire side of the pool had bowed outwards which caused the middle of the wall to be much lower. It was even all the way across. I have some evidence in pictures that the concrete beam had severely cracked at the corners before the trench was dug indicating that the wall had probably bowed out before I dug the trench but I don't have solid evidence in pictures as it was all covered in tarps before I finished.

Since all of this it's been fixed, I've had several contractors that deal with concrete including the one that is going to be pouring concrete around the pool to finish it tell me that I did not cause the issue. I guess I'm on here asking if anyone thinks I did cause it.

Can removing back fill from half of a wall a foot down cause it to bow out in a even manner even with a concrete beam around it?

Sorry for the long story. It even longer but I can't really tell it all as Its still not done and the pool was installed end of December 2021.

Pictures would help here
I didn't want to because I've legal help to have the pool finished but I guess I can share a few.

This was before the trench was dug in front of the pool. You can see the corner of the concrete has cracked already and sunk down.
1000000324.jpg
This was during the digit was more like 3/4 of the side. You can see where the wire moved over when they back filled bottom of the picture is where the wire was before they dug.
1000000334.jpg

After it was dropped in before back fill and water. Looks straight but hard to tell from the angle.
1000000335.jpg
After partial fill and fully back filled before concrete beam poured can kind of see it's not straight but could be the angle
1000000336.jpg
After digging corner is the same as before digging started
1000000332.jpg

Good picture of the bow from the other side after coping was installed ( shouldnt have been installed knowing the wall was compromised)

1000000333.jpg
The repair not sure how well this was done.

1000000331.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.