Fiberglass pool install has gone awry - Looking for Leisure Pools brand installation manual or guidelines

Coz

Silver Supporter
Jul 10, 2022
South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-15
My install has gone horribly awry. Does anyone have an installation manual or guidelines from Leisure Pools? I need this to view the manufacturer's specs on base material, fill, and level. My pool is off 1 1/2 inches over the 15 ft width, the installer claims it is within specs. They also only put a small amount of gravel in the hole as a base, sometimes less than an inch. This is after they slid the shell because the crane placed it over a foot off from the proper location. They have also used a hydraulic jack to lift the spa corner and placed wood blocks to hold it in position.

Additionally, I needed a retaining wall for my sloping lot. I had a separate contractor do that work. The pool installer is claiming the skidsteer got too close to the pool install and caused it to sink. I call BS on that and wonder what you all think? I have pictures of the pool off level prior to the retaining wall work.

Meeting with an attorney today to discuss options.
Thanks
Pool 1.jpg
pool 2.jpg

Here is a good document to review -- Fiberglass Pools - Further Reading

Industry standard is to be level to 1" in 40 feet. So the 1 1/2" in 15' is grossly out of standard.
Thanks, good to know the industry standard. I am hoping to get something of Leisure Pools, so I have it in writing. I have made many attempts to contact Leisure Pools on this problem and my calls only go to voicemail, which are not returned. After looking at all of Leisure's reviews online it looks like their history of customer service, or lack thereof, is pretty terrible.

1659455239212.png

APSP 2013 Workmanship Guidelines and Practices

Published on Jan 8, 2020

These workmanship guidelines are for dispute resolution for the construction, installation, remodeling, renovation, and warranty repair of inground residential swimming pools and permanently installed spas as required under the contract covering same.

The requirements in this document supplement and do not supersede the design and installation requirements of ANSI/APSP/ICC-5 Standard for Residential Inground Swimming Pools and ANSI/APSP-3 Standard for Permanently Installed Residential Spas in effect at the time of installation.

The goal of this document is to provide guidance to city, county, and state agencies having jurisdiction over such disputes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coz
That spa corner tells most. That whole side and spa corner collapsed from what lacked in support underneath. A skid steer weighs nothing compared to the water weight of that filled pool.

Reactions: Coz
View attachment 442605

APSP 2013 Workmanship Guidelines and Practices

Published on Jan 8, 2020

These workmanship guidelines are for dispute resolution for the construction, installation, remodeling, renovation, and warranty repair of inground residential swimming pools and permanently installed spas as required under the contract covering same.

The requirements in this document supplement and do not supersede the design and installation requirements of ANSI/APSP/ICC-5 Standard for Residential Inground Swimming Pools and ANSI/APSP-3 Standard for Permanently Installed Residential Spas in effect at the time of installation.

The goal of this document is to provide guidance to city, county, and state agencies having jurisdiction over such disputes.

Thank You! This is very helpful! Page 3 of that guide has the list of Members of the APSP Builder's Council. Nobody on the council from Leisure Pools, I am not surprised.

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW
That spa corner tells most. That whole side and spa corner collapsed from what lacked in support underneath. A skid steer weighs nothing compared to the water weight of that filled pool.
I agree. Funny part is the spa area is not the area which the installer claims was impacted by the skidsteer. He is claiming the deep end got impacted and it is off by 1 1/2 inches due to the skidsteer. If you look at my photos the ledges in the deep end show how far off level the pool currently sits.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In my opinion, all details need to be specified including timeframes with guarantees, quality control metrics, materials, workmanship, designs, engineering architecture, everything.

For quality, you want to know things like what constitutes “Level”?

Is it +/- 1/8” or +/- 2”?

What equipment will you get?

What plumbing will you get?

What pad will be provided for the equipment?

Will it be a cheap $20.00 plastic pad or a good poured concrete pad?

Is dirt removal included?

When will the project start and when will it be completed?

What might delay the project?

Will they handle the permits and inspections as part of the included costs?

What if it is not completed on time?

What’s included and not included?

What’s extra or optional?

What unknowns are potentially going to happen that would increase the cost?

Is there sufficient access to the property?

How much access do they need and how much do you have?

Will the proposal include a deck?

If yes, describe the included deck.

Will the deck include a metal mesh bonding grid?

How well did you check them out?

Did you get at least 3 references that you can check in person to see the quality?

What licenses are they required to have?

Did you verify that their General Contractor’s and Pool Builder’s licenses were valid and in good standing?

Did you check to see if the contractor’s licensing board has received any complaints against the company?

What employee holds the license that qualifies the builder for the company license?

Did you check their reviews on all of the sites like Google and Yelp?

Did you verify their liability and worker’s compensation insurance?

Are they bonded or required to be bonded?

If yes, how much is the bond?

Have you verified their bond?

Have you verified that their corporation is in good standing?

Have you checked their reviews and complaints on BBB?

Have you checked their court data to see if there are civil cases filed against them?

What is the payment schedule?

What is the warranty?

Does anyone have an installation manual or guidelines from Leisure Pools?
Have you asked Leisure Pools for this?

If yes, what is their response?

Your contract is with the local builder, so Leisure pools may or may not do anything for you.

Leisure Pools has a lot of complaints.

Did you do anything to check them before agreeing to a contract?

Did you find the builder through Leisure pools or did you find the builder first and then found out that they used Leisure Pools products?

Is the contractor properly licensed, bonded and insured?

If a manufacturer certifies a company as their "dealer/installer" they need to ensure it is being done properly.
Do you have a written document where Leisure Pools says that the builder is a "Certified" Dealer or Installer?

Do you have anything where Leisure Pools ensures the installation will be done correctly?

Do you have a written "Recommendation" from Leisure Pools for the builder?

Do you have a written document where Leisure Pools says that the builder is a "Certified" Dealer or Installer?

Do you have anything where Leisure Pools ensures the installation will be done correctly?

You list a lot of valid questions for someone getting into a contract. I am beyond that point. Leisure Pools won't return my calls. The installer was recommended by Leisure Pools and is one of their dealers.

Is the contractor properly licensed, bonded and insured?

Does the contract specify any quality control metrics?

Do you have anything in writing where Leisure Pools ensures the installation will be done correctly?

The APSP 2013 Workmanship Guidelines and Practices Guide is an authoritative Industry Standard.

If the company won’t install the pool to your satisfaction, then you can try a variety of things to get them to comply.

You can hire a local professional expert as a consultant to represent you.

They would need verified qualifications like being a licensed engineer or a licensed contractor.

You can file a complaint with the contractor’s licensing board.

You can file a claim against their insurance or bond.

Some states have a homeowner’s recovery fund.

You can file a civil claim if all other avenues don’t work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.