Fiberglass pool has calcium buildup.

Fungi

May 5, 2015
Central Illinois
So I screwed up. I opened the pool, added the stabilizer, but never lowered my alkalinity, and I let the ph drift high. Due to medical reasons we only used the pool 4 times all summer. I kept the chlorine at 1-3ppm, but I now have a thick layer of calcium buildup on the fiberglass pool walls. Would it be possible to fill the pool with soft water and keep the ph below 7 long enough to disolve the calcium then drain. Manually removing using power washer or sand blaster has been recommended, but beyond my ability right now. Any advise?

calcium-01.jpg

Attachments

• calcium-01.jpg
    calcium-01.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 15
Curious ... have you confirmed the chalkiness is calcium? Maybe it's just me looking at the pic, but Is the pool currently empty? If empty, pour a small amount of muriatic acid on that top step. If it's calcium, it should fizzle. If it doesn't, then it's a whloe different issue.

Based on a bad experience, I don't recommend an acid wash for a plaster pool. But in this case... can a fiberglass pool be acid washed? I'm not sure who to ask about that. Pat?

The only thing about maintaining aggressive water (i.e. low CSI) is that the results may not be uniform across the entire pool. It wilt also take a while, coupled with aggressive brushing. There is also a no drain acid wash process that some plaster pool owners try, but it requires careful application since making the pH crash to around 4 ppm can cause other problems for a pool or its surfaces. The other thought, besides what you noted above already, would be sanding/buffing the gelcoat while it's empty. But I suspect you're about to close right? I'm guessing to prepare for winter and to prevent potential shell "floating" you are going to fill back up right away?

Thanks for the reply Dirk, I hope there is a way to remove this easily.

Thanks TS, I was thinking to reverse the procedure that created the calcium deposits. I was going to shoot for a ph of 6 and let it go for a few weeks next spring. I am in a situation that should allow for draining everything bone dry for the winter. I am sick of opening a pool of death soup because some mice drown over the winter. With such a small pool it stinks so bad. I usually have to drain and refill every spring. Because of the fact that the pool is sitting in bone dry sand that cannot get wet from precipitation I don't see the concern. I've drained it completely after getting 6 inches of rain without issue because the rain water doesn't get to the ground around the pool. Polycarbonate roof panels.

If I have to hire someone so be it. There is no way I can do the labor part due to illness.

Anyone have any first hand experience with this problem?

Last edited:
No first hand experience but if it was my pool and in your condition I would suggest exactly what you posted in the beginning.

I would drop the pH to 6.8 and keep it there......checking pH twice daily because you don't want to go lower or higher. CH of 150 should be fine or possibly a little higher.

Have someone brush the pool surface with a stiff (not metal) brush every couple of days or so. I believe the calcium will go back into solution and you will be out very little except for a little elbow grease.

Jim, while an elevated water table may not be an issue for you, I wanted to give you a few other things to consider should you try to keep water in the pool and make the water aggressive to remove scale:
- If you refill, I expect you would still need to winterize which would mean a lower water level to clear the lines. That could lead to uneven scale removal.
- With a winterized pool, you would have no way to keep water moving through the lines and skimmer which could be a problem (freezing)
- In your area, the TA is usually exceptionally high. Not uncommon to see it pushing 300-400 or more. Perhaps you already know your normal TA, but if it is that high, it could make maintaining a lower pH a bit problematic requiring more acid treatments.
- With a winterized pool, it would be difficult to mix acid across the body of water.

Those are just some things that popped into my head later as I thought about your situation. Just wanted to ensure you looked at every angle. Have a good day.

I agree with Pat. If you intend to winterize, I would simply not even attempt ANY approach at removing the calcium until you can refill the pool completely.

Even if you kept the pool open until December, I am not sure that would be long enough to remove that calcium. Sounds like a spring time process to me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.