fiberglass pool crack

My wife told me just the other day that there was a crack in our Viking Fiberglass pool. She noticed it while swimming. I didn't believe her, I had to jump in and see it for myself. Well, at least it's not leaking. That didn't last long. It's leaking like crazy now.

The most frustrating thing to me is that this is the whole reason why we went with Fiberglass in the first place is that soil in South Texas shifts. A LOT. Almost everyone here has foundation problems with cracking, etc. So why in the world would I build a gunite pool here? Concrete cracks. That's what it does. Like I said, especially here.

We thought Fiberglass would be more forgiving, flex a bit more,etc. Pool is only a year old.

Yes, warranty claim has been submitted, etc. but has anyone else have this problem? I thought Fiberglass was almost impervious to cracking and leaking barring severe circumstances (of which we have none, except for hot and dry, but it's like that here all of the time).

BTW, leak is on shallow end right in the corner between the floor and the wall

Yes, this is Chris and I also have a long crack at the bottom of my fiberglass pool. The largest fiberglass pool company in the Dallas Plano area just resurfaced my entire pool in November of 2016 and at that time was the ONLY fiberglass pool company around. I have had many problems with my pool ever since. Not only have I had cobalt staining, but now I have a crack at the bottom of my pool about 8 feet long. The company will not answer my calls nor will he honor any of the problems I am having with my pool. It is not leaking water yet, but wonder how long will it be before it does. Rather than spending another $10K on another resurfacing job, I am thinking of having the pool filled in. I am at my wits ends. What could have caused the problems? Chemicals? Heavy rains? Poor construction?

Yes, this is Chris and I also have a long crack at the bottom of my fiberglass pool. The largest fiberglass pool company in the Dallas Plano area just resurfaced my entire pool in November of 2016 and at that time was the ONLY fiberglass pool company around. I have had many problems with my pool ever since. Not only have I had cobalt staining, but now I have a crack at the bottom of my pool about 8 feet long. The company will not answer my calls nor will he honor any of the problems I am having with my pool. It is not leaking water yet, but wonder how long will it be before it does. Rather than spending another $10K on another resurfacing job, I am thinking of having the pool filled in. I am at my wits ends. What could have caused the problems? Chemicals? Heavy rains? Poor construction?

Has to be poor construction, but mainly poor installation. When it comes to Figerglass pools, installation is everything. By the way, I am 99% sure that the crack I was talking about above was caused by my son and his friend jumping into the pool with hard wooden Skim Boards. One must have sliced through the shallow end and hit the corner. I was happy that Viking covered it under warranty and you can hardly even tell it was ever there now. I will say also that the pool was not leaking at that crack site. As we later discovered, the leak was coming from the plumbing.

in areas with bad ground and movement a steel wall liner pool is the way to go. the bottom can move a little no problem and w a proper footing/collar and drainage it wont be an issue. fiberglass is the worst choice IMO for bad soil unless you over excavate several feet and do engineered fill and a huge overdig and backfill area

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.