Fiberglass or Vinyl

Mar 31, 2017
Pacific, Mo.
Greetings all.
First I want to thank the forum for being here. It really is comforting to see that there is some help out there for us that are clueless.

We are wanting an inground pool. My initial thought was to got to fiberglass as I though they are the least maintenance and the most cost effective in the long run. I know the cost is more on the upfront but I thought that they are less expensive over all by what I've read on the WWW. Most of my info is from pool sellers.

But then I get told by a builder that the fiberglass pools have to be resealed in 7-10 years and this would obviously cost more than a new liner if I were to go with a vinyl pool.
On the other hand I'm told that vinyl pool structures only last 20-25 years and then have to be replaced.

So I thought I would come here and ask the folks that have lived with them. Hopefully there is some that have had both and I can learn from their experience.

So if given the choice which would you own,, fiberglass or vinyl?

Thank you.

I've never heard that bit about resealing in 7-10 years and I *have* a fiberglass pool! LOL

Each pool has its pluses and minuses. We went with fiberglass as I had read that the ultrasmooth surface was more difficult for algae to grab on to. And the start up compared to a gunnite pool was much easier. We liked that.

If you have dogs that will be swimming, be aware that they can rip vinyl and that would be a headache.

Yip :flower:

The notion that a fiberglass pool is "easier to maintain" or "uses less chemicals" is bogus industry marketing talk. As YippySkippy has said, all pool surfaces have their pluses and minuses. All of them require proper chemical maintenance and there's really no one surface that is "the best". It all depends on your build budget and what you are looking for in terms of the look and feel of your pool. Your chemical and maintenance costs will be roughly the same across all pool surfaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Between the two, I would choose Vinyl. Its closer to a Cement pool in a few ways, and seem (to me) to have fewer major issues.

Can you please tell me what major issues can there be with a fiberglass pool

- - - Updated - - -

I've never heard that bit about resealing in 7-10 years and I *have* a fiberglass pool! LOL

How long have you had your fiberglass pool.

Fiberglass depends on the actual finish. If it is a gel coat yes it can require some refinish being done at some point.

Vinyl will have to be replaced at some point due to vinyl failure. That could be at anytime, my parents liner is 17 years old. I have had customers last only 3. It depends a lot on how well YOU maintain chemistry.

The biggest thing is what you want. either pool can last a lifetime. The first vinyl lined inground we built 35 years ago is still in use today

If I had to pick which is the easiest and cheapest longterm then I would probably have to say vinyl. It can last a very long time with good water management, it is the cheapest and easiest to refinish and the cheapest and easiest to install in the first place. It is also more flexible and better able to withstand ground movement in clay soils.

Thank you all for your reply's.
After much research and scratching of the head I think we have decided to go with vinyl.
The main reason why is because you can get more pool for the money and with a vinyl pool we won't have to have a continuous slope towards the deep end. I like a flat service for games and such and a deep end for the diving board.

Now we just have to choose a pool and a builder.
Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all for your reply's.
After much research and scratching of the head I think we have decided to go with vinyl.
The main reason why is because you can get more pool for the money and with a vinyl pool we won't have to have a continuous slope towards the deep end. I like a flat service for games and such and a deep end for the diving board.

Now we just have to choose a pool and a builder.
Thanks again.

This is the exact reason we went with vinyl. We are pleased so far but we haven't even been swimming yet. I just like the look of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.