Fiberglass IG pool on sloped yard

abcd1234

Jul 21, 2021
MA
I'm talking to a PB about installing an inground 40*16 pool in my seriously sloped backyard.
It involves raising the yard by a few feet. The shallow part is currently above ground and the deep end is just 2.5 ft into the soil. This is before we fill the yard.

This all means that we'll bring in a lot of fill dirt to raise the level and the pool will mostly be buried in fill dirt. There will be a 3:1 slope from after the pool deck so we wont build retaining walls around the pool.

Are there any problems with this kind of construction? Things I should be aware of or require from the PB?

Very nice!

I see in your build pictures that the pool was partially above ground when it was placed. What materials were used to fill around it? I didn't get that from the pics.

Also, was any concrete rebar collar used for stabilizing the pool?

Hello abcd..

Mine recently completed is semi in ground, like you due to sloping ground. (Mine is concrete shell however). Anyway, I built a retaining wall to hold the pool and the patio up and I love how it looks. It just sticks strait up out of the ground about 2feet or 600mm depending on your units of measure on the deep end, and 8inches on the shallow end to prevent stormwater going in.

But let me get to the real point.. what I regret was not making the retaining wall extend further to create a much larger flat area. There was so much dirt excavated for the retaining wall and pool, I ended up having 60 metric tonnes hauled to the tip, which I could have otherwise used to level out the entire yard!

It may be worth investigating what you could achieve with a retaining wall?

Reactions: abcd1234
Very nice!

I see in your build pictures that the pool was partially above ground when it was placed. What materials were used to fill around it? I didn't get that from the pics.

Also, was any concrete rebar collar used for stabilizing the pool?
Rock was our filler material. Some use sand but that is too tenuous to remain stable, unlike the rock.

No concrete collar placed.

Maddie :flower:

Sounds like we had the same kind of slope. I could not imagine building with out the retaining wall. Here is ours completed.

Attachments

• F0E4BC88-EE86-4899-99BD-A1ABC3A9DE16.jpeg
    F0E4BC88-EE86-4899-99BD-A1ABC3A9DE16.jpeg
    445.8 KB · Views: 39
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.