Fiberglass filter replacement.

Iroquois

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2014
Marietta, GA
I have a very old Baker Hydro RV-24 sand filter that was originally designed for an above ground pool from what I have been told, but it has worked pretty well for us since we bought the house. It's been about 25 years now and it needs to be replaced and I'm not sure if a sand filter or cartridge filter would be the way to go for a replacement. It's a 16 x 32 in ground liner with about 26,000 gallon capacity. Any recommendations?

Attachments

• Labor Day 480.JPG
    Labor Day 480.JPG
    287.1 KB · Views: 3
It's really a personal choice.

A cartridge filter filters better than sand.... unless you add DE, in which case it might filter better. A cartridge filter requires less water to clean it, but it does require disassembly and some hands-on. If disposing of the waste water has been a problem, get a cartridge. But if you like cleaning the filter one-handed without even having to set down your drink, then sand is the way to go.

Sizing? Get the biggest you can afford or that will fit in the space.

Reactions: Iroquois
Wow, that's seen some time, eh? All filters work but some time folks have a preference.

If water is very expensive (like out west) they often go with cartridge filter. They use less water to clean the filter.

DE works extremely well but is sometimes a pain to deal with if you ever get algae. DE is the finest of filteration getting things much smaller than the other two types.

Cartridge filters would require washing when gunked up, but if you buy a very large one some folks go quite a long time between cleaning.

Sand filters work well, simple to maintain, but clear up algae the slowest. You can always add a little DE to a sand filter to improve its filtration though. Sand does not need changing out no matter what a pool store tells you.

If you know sand filters and keep your pool in good shape water wise, I'd just go with another of those myself.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Iroquois
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.