Few Questions From a Rookie in Maryland

Noli

May 17, 2018
Frederick/MD
Bought a home with a pool - first season owner. My pump (Pentair CHII-NI-1-1/2F) appears to have a few leaks. In the picture below, I have a pretty decent leak. I also have a much slower leak that appears to be coming from a bolt from the opposite side of the pump. Couldn't insert the picture...something about exceeding my quota (gotta figure out how that works as well). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, tested my water or the first time:

FC: 1.34
CC: 4.84
pH: 8
CH: 212
TA: 103
CYA: 43
Copper: 0
Iron: 0.1

IMG_1957.JPG

There are several seals in/around the seal plate for that pump. One or more could simply be worn. They make a rebuild kit (go-kit) similar to THIS ONE that you can purchase to try and eliminate any water leaks. Might be worth a shot.

As for your test results, they appear to be from a local store and not one of the test kits we recommend members to get on their own (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C). So definitely make sure to get your own test kit as soon as you can. As such, those numbers are questionable, but if they are close, your pH is too high (should be mid 7s) and your FC is too low and you could get algae. For that CYA, your FC need to be more like in the 5-7 range - never below 3. See the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Thanks for the info, Texas Splash! The new water test kit and pump rebuild kit are both on their way!

I took the pump apart today and noticed a very corroded area around the motor shaft after I took off the seal plate. There was a thin flat gasket around the shaft - but again, much corrosion behind the gasket. Is this a sealing surface? If so, then I may be looking at a new pump? Yikes!

kqI8l79fuaUDKqVX2
How do I add pictures? I must be doing something wrong as the site says I've exceeded my quota. In the meantime, I'm trying to link a picture of the corroded pump (Google Photos).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DI2bWO9eoq220PQj1

How do I add pictures? I must be doing something wrong as the site says I've exceeded my quota.
Ah yes. There's a limited amount of upload space unless you decide to become a TFP Supporter (link in my signature), then you have ample room for all sorts of pic uploads. Hope the new rebuild kit does the job for you.

Thanks! The Taylor K-2006C kit arrived yesterday. I feel like I'll need to wear a white lab coat when I'm working up the concoctions - haha!!

I'm about 2 or 3 days away from receiving my pump rebuild kit. Should I wait to test the water until my pump is back up and running - or is there an advantage of getting info now? I'm thinking that I should wait because without circulation, I shouldn't be adding chemicals to the pool - correct?

Thanks again for the advice!

I wouldn't add anything until you do your own tests (mixing with a brush or something before won't hurt) EXCEPT at least a gallon of chlorine and mixing after. Not sure how to mix it in that pool ... others have more experience and will chime in. Pool store readings are NOT to be trusted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Love it!! Between coaching my son's baseball team, watching the Capitals win the Stanley Cup, roasting a pig, yard work, and cooler rainy days, my job as the pool boy has had to take a backseat recently - LOL!!! I'm all loaded up with 8 bottles of Walmart's finest chlorine bleach! Picking up a bottle of muriatic acid on the way home to get back at it!! I'm close...I can feel it!! :p

Hi Neighbor!

When your FC is above 10, the PH test is unreliable and will result in falsely high results. Test the PH before you SLAM and assume it will stay that way while you SLAM with bleach. Bleach is pretty neutral when it comes to SLAMing. Try to avoid running any water features until you are at the end of your SLAM. Water features increase PH, but you will want to run them to kill anything lurking in the lines, so do it at the end.

While SLAMing you can just test the FC and CC.

GO CAPS!!!!

Here are my numbers. Do I need to increase my CYA before shocking?

FC=0
CC=2
pH=7.4
TA=100
CH=240
CYA= <30 (black dot still present but barely)

Thanks - have a party tonight an the kids want to get in the pool!! i'm not feeling any pressure!! :(

Before starting your SLAM Process, you do want to ensure your CYA is at least 30. Double check because earlier it was about 35 right? Your pH is right at the top end of a pre-SLAM level. You might consider adding just a little muriatic acid to bring it down a hair to 7.2. But other than that, increase the FC to 12 and keep it going. Check often at first (every hour or so) until you see the FC is holding better, then you can space the intervals out further.

As for the party, if you get the stabilizer in there ASAP so you know it's a solid CYA of 30, then the elevated FC of 12 is not a problem. If you elect to let the FC fall a little for all the kids, it's not going to effect the overall SLAM either, but don't go any lower than about 6-8. As soon as the party is over, maintain that FC of 12. If later you find the CYA to be closer to 40, increase the FC to 16. Good luck!

I've since tested the CYA twice and I don't see the black dot disappear - that first test (CYA=35) the black dot went away during swirling but not after it settled down and I have since determined that that is not the correct way to conduct the test. I now have a sock in the pool with stabilizer. Will add a little muriatic acid to lower the pH. Thanks again and I'll report back with my results!!

Will add a little muriatic acid to lower the pH. Thanks again and I'll report back with my results!!
Sounds good. And if this helps .......
CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Use the mixing bottle to gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Recommend standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body at waist level. Then, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. To help the eyes and prevent staring at the dot, some people find it better to pour & view in stages. Pour some solution into the viewing tube, look away, then look back again for the dot. Repeat as necessary until you feel the dot is gone. After the first CYA test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, gently shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate your own CYA reading.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.