Feedback on Water Chemistry

Mar 24, 2015
MO
Hello All, we have received quite a bit of rain, like 8-10 inches over the last week or so, and I just tested the water. I had been testing FC and pH daily, and kept FC at a good level. I also just had my SWG generator repaired (new Flow Sensor).

CYA = 27
FC =2
TA=60
Salt = 2870

Using Pool Math
I added 16 oz of stabilizer which should take the CYA up to 30.
I added my last 40# bag of salt which will get it to maybe 3000.
I added two gallons of 10% bleach, which will take FC to 8.

Here are my questions....

1) Is there a recommended CYA to get to for the summer? We get a lot of sunlight.
2) My SWG shows a green flow sensor, but low salt on the indicator. Is there a recommended salt let and better question is does a "red low salt" light, deactivate the unit from generating FC? I was surprised my FC had dropped to 2, as I run the filters about 12 hours a day.
3) Is the TA good at 60?
4) Honestly, I find the Chlorine Stabilizer to be a pain to add to the pool, with needing to run the filter pump for 48hours, no backwash, etc... Does anyone else just use Dichlor when then need to increase CYA and FC? I see Sam's Club selling 100# in a bucket for $109, or 48# in one pound bags for a bit more per pound.

Yup, you need more CYA in there. I'd take it up to 60 as a start (just so you can creep up on the higher recommended number and avoid overshooting it). You'd want it about 80 if you get a lot of sun.

Do you have a salt test kit- Taylor's K-1766? I never trust my salt levels on my device. i like to know for sure.

TA of 60 is fine. What's your pH? They work hand in hand.

Don't buy ANY clorox xtra blue pucks/granular products as they contain copper. In fact, I'd suggest avoiding all compound products and only adding single ingredient products so you don't have any unpleasant surprises come down the road. CYA comes in 4 pound jugs at Lowes and Home Depot, and bleach is cheap but you may find liquid chlorine even cheaper if you price check it around town. You use PoolMath to determine how much.

Or you could splurge on liquid stabilizer... pricey but once its in there, its IN there. For a pool your size I'd just make sure I had a mess of big socks and just use the granular cya and hang 'em all over the edge of the pool and then you don't have to worry about backwashing.

Maddie :flower:

You're gonna need CYA at 70 to 80 for your SWG. Leave TA alone and see how your PH does there. I'd just add lome liquid bleach to get your FC there pronto and plain old granular CYA from Walmart to get there quickly.

Thanks, Great feedback. Yes, I do use Salt Test Strips that I bought at same time I bought my TFT test kit. I am just wondering if Red "low salt" light being on causes SWG to not generate chlorine.

The way to determine if your SWG is making chlorine is: Is your FC level dropping? If not, it's holding its own. You could also test the water directly as it comes out of the return and it should be higher in FC than the rest of the pool's water (test elsewhere also).

But whenever you need FC fast, just use bleach.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.