Federal Electric Service Panel

bk406 said:
If this happens, it is an issue. It usually means that the electrical service is not big enough for the house. It can occur in houses that only have 100 amp service. If this happens in new houses, the electrical needs to be looked at. It's not normal.
For comparison, I have 2 large air conditioners (2 zone) and heat pump for the pool with 200 amp service. All 3 have kicked on at the same time numerous times. Never had a light dim, ever.
Did I mention the house has only 100 amp service? Another known issue that got shoved to the back burner... :x

I'm a home inspector, and every time I see the old FP Stab-Loc's, I print off a 5 page notice on the d*** things for the buyer. Most of the time, the seller bucks up and has the panel replaced since they are a known hazard.

On the other side of the coin, I ran into a pool subpanel that was full of aluminum wiring. Not sure how that passed code, but I wrote that up pretty quickly.

Neighbor 2 houses down (35 year old house) finally had their panel, which was wired with aluminum, go up in smoke a couple weeks ago.

Plenty of things to watch out for and keep in mind with subpanels, especially the older ones.

How do you tell if you have a FP panel/breakers? My house was built in 1971 and my previous house as built in 95 and both had lights dimmed when the air turned on, but oh well.

Also, what does failed open/closed mean?

The name "Federal Electric" will be on the panel and breakers.

Failed open means the the device fails in the open position (i.e. No electricity can flow through it) and cannot be reset.
Failed closed means that the device fails closed (i. e. Power flows through it all the time) and cannot be tripped or opened (i.e. Turned off).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.