FCL - Not Enough

I am a new owner of a TF-100.

When testing my CC, I add a drop and use the magnetic mixer. It goes clear. I am done. When the vial is sitting there, while I am logging it over a 10-15 seconds it turns back to pink. If I add another drop, it stays clear. Do I go off the first change to clear and be done? Or the second?

First change. Ignore what test samples do after sitting around.

I was doing my initial TF-100 test so I knew how to use it. I am SLAMming now and posting my results in the FC thread I had about SWG. I'm up to 30.5 and will keep testing throughout the day. but yes, I added some liquid to at least get to 4-6. Going forward, I will keep it there after the SLAM.

Reactions: Msch99
12:15 PM
FC 6.5
CC 1.0
PH 7.2
CYA 70
Added 5 gallons of 10%.

1:15 PM
FC 30.5
CC 0.5

4:00 PM -- Been super sunny here
FC 27.5 (target is 28)
CC 0.0
Adding 2 cups of 10%

5:15 PM -- Been super sunny here
FC 27.5 (target is 28)
CC 0.0
Adding 4 cups of 10% (heading out for a bit)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not 100% sure about that but it's often advised here. I believe it's due to the amount of drops needed at high FC levels, and while SLAM 1ppm more FC isn't going to break anything for the OCLT you're looking for 1ppm loss or less to be able to pass.

Test again when you get home, and if the FC is still close to 28 I'd think you're ready for OCLT. Even if you do lose >1ppm, it's probably just one more day. Quite honestly, the idea of letting FC drop to 10ppm to be able to do the OCLT is contrary to the SLAM process which states that you maintain SLAM level till you pass the 3 criteria.

I think I would default to doing OCLT at SLAM level, and just be very diligent about dropping and swirling simultaneously (or speedstir).

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure about that but it's often advised here. I believe it's due to the amount of drops needed at high FC levels, and while SLAM 1ppm more FC isn't going to break anything for the OCLT you're looking for <1ppm loss to be able to pass.

Test again when you get home, and if the FC is still close to 28 I'd think you're ready for OCLT. Even if you do lose >1ppm, it's probably just one more day. Quite honestly, the idea of letting FC drop to 10ppm to be able to do the OCLT is contrary to the SLAM process which states that you maintain SLAM level till you pass the 3 criteria.

I think I would default to doing OCLT at SLAM level, and just be very diligent about dropping and swirling simultaneously (or speedstir).
Makes sense. Thanks, you cleared up exactly my confusion.

I did buy a speedstir.

12:15 PM
FC 6.5
CC 1.0
PH 7.2
CYA 70
Added 5 gallons of 10%.

1:15 PM
FC 30.5
CC 0.5

4:00 PM -- Been super sunny here
FC 27.5 (target is 28)
CC 0.0
Adding 2 cups of 10%

5:15 PM -- Been super sunny here
FC 27.5 (target is 28)
CC 0.0
Adding 4 cups of 10% (heading out for a bit)

7:05 PM -- Been super sunny here
FC 25 (target is 28)
CC 0.0
Going to try to take it back to 28.

I'm surprised it dropped so much in only < 2 hours.

Beautiful pool! I agree, very clear.

Shrug... try OCLT and see what happens. Have you checked/cleaned all you nooks and crannies (lights, steps, handrail, etc.) where algae could hide?

I'd keep bumping up to SLAM level tonight till you go to bed, then test one more time after adding to verify FC and then check in the AM. Baby SLAMs of 1-3 days aren't unheard of.

Beautiful pool! I agree, very clear.

Shrug... try OCLT and see what happens. Have you checked/cleaned all you nooks and crannies (lights, steps, handrail, etc.) where algae could hide?

I'd keep bumping up to SLAM level tonight till you go to bed, then test one more time after adding to verify FC and then check in the AM. Baby SLAMs of 1-3 days aren't unheard of.

Yeah. I’ve brushed. And ran the robot. The water is crystal clear all the way down to 8 feet. Like a postcard. Have never had any issues with that.

I’ll test again here at 8:15. Bump up if I need to. Then check again in the morning before sun up.

Yeah. I’ve brushed. And ran the robot. The water is crystal clear all the way down to 8 feet. Like a postcard. Have never had any issues with that.

I’ll test again here at 8:15. Bump up if I need to. Then check again in the morning before sun up.

Added a gallon to go back to 28. Will test again in about 30 min around 9 pm.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe our robot has something inside of it. And while slamming I reintroduced it by putting it back in. I wasn’t thinking when I put that in that it could cause a problem. I wouldn’t think it would add that much though.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.