Hillsborough, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I accidently added enough LC to get my FC level to 50!!!! Will I damage my vinyl liner?

Full story -
I have not opened my pool (in NJ - plan to open next week). I just assumed I didn't have any FC so I tested it using the K-1000 just to get a sense and when I saw it was clear, I dumped about 2 gallons of FC. Tested again and it was barely showing anything, so I dumped about 2 more gallons. Tested with K-1000 again and was just slightly pink. So then I tested with the drop (FAS/DPD) and quickly realized my mistake. I accidently used the R-0003 solution instead of R-0014. I should have realized when the solution was slightly pink and not yellow. Major mistake on my part. So when I did the FAS/DPD test, I used 100 drops of R-0871 before it became clear (FC = 50 ppm).

Everything is still closed, I just opened the corner of the cover to get some LC in the pool because I didn't want to open up to a swamp. I had added some about 2 weeks ago and just assume all of the FC was used up but I must of had some to get the FC up to 50 ppm.

What is done is done.

Remove the cover now and let the sun burn off the chlorine whether you get the equipment running or not.

This is why we advise not to add chemicals to closed pools.

Reactions: jgofnj
4 gallons is only 22 to 27 ppm for you, depending on 10%/12.5%. The unmixed sample you got was in fact 50 ppm per the testing but the pool as a whole, isn't.

Remove the cover as said above.

And if you don't turn on your pump then stir the water with your pool brush.