FC is 10, is that too high during winter?

platon20

Bronze Supporter
Oct 13, 2016
DFW/Texas
I have an SWG but it's turned off due to cold weather; so I have 3 chlorine pucks in the floater device; my last CYA was 40. My CYA hasn't gone up at all since adding the pucks, I think the frequent rain is making the CYA not budge.

Over the last 2 weeks my chlorine level has gradually increased and now it's sitting at 10. I have no plans to swim in the pool anytime soon.

Should I go ahead and take the floating chlorinator out of the water? What level is too high?

With a CYA of 40, your FC could go as high as 16 according to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] and still be fine to swim in. But yes, you can remove the chlorine pucks for now and simply monitor your FC to ensure it stays balanced as noted on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

I would use weekly additions of liquid chlorine to keep your Cl level in the zone. Also be sure to let your water sample warm to room temperature when testing for CYA for accurate results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.