FC at zero but all others spot on

Beachchic85

Feb 27, 2019
Ohio
I am having trouble for some reason all my other numbers are spot on but FC will not move from 0. I use clorox bleach every, 3 or 4 days I add in 2 Q's. My pool is crystal clear...clean as can be but my FC wont register and it is making me crazy. I have an 18' above ground pool 8600 gallons.
FC - 0
PH - 7.5
TA - 80
TH - 300
CYA - 40

Somehow 2 quarts of 6% household bleach every 3 or 4 days doesn't seem like enough in a pool that size. When I had a 24 foot round AGP I could easily add a gallon of bleach each night if the kids had been swimming all day. In general, if the tests say you have no chlorine, you have none and need to add more. Until you have a handle on things you should be testing and doing additions every night at sundown. I don't think I ever have had a system where I could go 3 or 4 days without having to add sanitizer.

Are you using a quality test kit? What does your CC read out at? Remember TC=FC+CC. So if TC is the concentration of the chlorine in the pool at the theoretical moment the chlorine is added, and if your Free Chlorine is 0, then your combined chloramines should be high. Its never desirable to have a high CC, but confirming that your CC is high might help you feel better knowing that your chlorine is accounted for and now is basically inactive. I'm a bit rusty on things as I haven't had a pool for a few years and now just bought a house with an existing pool, so if I'm wrong on this would someone jump in and correct me? Thanks!

What are you testing with to get your numbers? As Marty said, do you know what your combined chlorine level is?

Realistically, lets say you are losing 2ppm of FC a day, which is what I lose, you should be putting a quart in everyday to maintain your levels for your size pool.

I think you are going too long in between additions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.