Fast Dissolving CYA from eBay

svenpup

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 18, 2009
Sacramento, CA
I recently purchased "Fast Dissolving Swimming Pool Stabilizer - Conditioner - Cyanuric Acid" from sinaindustries2016 on eBay (10 lbs for $26 delivered).

It was a very fine powder reminiscent of powdered boric acid (over which I prefer the granular). There were some clumps in the bag, which I did nothing about. I put a pound in a bucket with a couple gallons of pool water and attempted to stir. Initial results were discouraging as it seemed to settle in the bottom of the bucket. In for a penny, in for a pound I dumped the contents of the bucket plus two more pounds in the pool a started brushing it around. After only a cursory brushing I was encouraged: within a few minutes there was hardly any visible material left.

How long it will take to register on the CYA test remains to be seen, but it appears that I have an inexpensive (compared to liquid CYA) and easy method to add CYA quickly without messing around with a sock for a week.

.....How long it will take to register on the CYA test remains to be seen, but it appears that I have an inexpensive (compared to liquid CYA) and easy method to add CYA quickly without messing around with a sock for a week.
Wow! How much CYA are you adding that it takes a week to dissolve?

1/2 lb or so of the HTH CYA only takes a few hours to completely dissolve in front of a running return, and seems to all register on the test the next day.

I'd be curious how this 'Fast Dissolving' CYA would work in a sock..... do you think it would be too fine for the sock method?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, what is the ingredient list? is it 100% CYA?

Thanks for the review. It's good to know since that price isn't much different than what you'd pay for regular CYA at Walmart (4 lb @ 12.77). Was disappointed to see Walmart in my area dripped HTH and went with Clorox chemicals. I don't know it for a fact but I'm guessing Clorox is just branding that adds to buyer recognition and also to it's cost without being any better.

The regular CYA in a sock, letting it soak a bit in front of a jet and then kneading it like bread I can get a sock full dissolved in a few minutes. Granted you have to spend the time on your knees holding that sock in front of a jet but I've never found that too difficult. With that stuff being in the same price range I'm inclined to give it a try.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.