Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
North Central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I ordered a new jar of DPD powder from tftestkits.com this spring. It arrived in April. It was stored unopened with a dessicant pack in a zip lock bag with my test kit.

I just got it out and upon opening, the color looked good. But the powder itself is rock hard. I tried using a small screwdriver to break it up, but it just flies out of the tiny jar, staining everything it touches. Any suggestions on how to "powderize" it again? Never had this happen before. :(

I shake the Crud out of it while beating the bottom on the counter at the same time. In the future, it helps if you make sure your hands are completely dry before opening the canister and scooping the powder out.

Thanks, dj. This one hadn't been opened at all, prior to me doing so this morning. I've had it clump a bit before, and I found that a tiny desiccant pack kept inside the canister helps a lot once it's been opened. First time I ever opened a fresh one to discover a solid lump (like concrete!) in the canister, though. :unsure:

I tried rapping and shaking it as suggested, and could not even get a scoop's worth of powder loosened up. Finally, I put the container deep inside a sandwich-size ziplock bag, and carefully dug with an eyeglass's screwdriver for about a minute and got the container emptied. Lotsa big lumps and some little ones. Used my index finger to pulverize everything with the bag sealed. Then poured it back into the container, added one of the tiny desiccant packs, and put it away. That stuff can make a mess if you're not careful! :oops:

Thanks again, and enjoy the day!
G.

Apparently you all have lived a fairly sheltered life. Break it up on a hard surface and then roll a straight sided pill bottle over it to grind it up.

I like toys/tools. For just $7 I could not resist buying the tool made specifically for the task. It gives a nice fine grind with little effort. Had it cost over $25 I may have opted to use a ziplock bag and a hammer. Even if I only need to use it occasionally, it is still a cool looking little item. There is also available on Amazon a $50 mortar and pestle made of agate. That is still a laboratory tool, not a decorative item, it is solid non-porous polished stone versus the $7 porcelain which has rough and porous grinding surface. If I bought the agate for $50, when not in use it would be on display on an knickknack shelf in the house, not on a shelf in the garage!

10898264-1202-4E64-800E-4F1BBA822123.jpeg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.