FAS-DPD Chlorine Test Turns Orange

kywildcats

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2015
Mayfield, KY
Did my first test this morning with FAS-DPD test and water turned orange. Never saw that before. It took 16 drops so FC is 8 and CC showed 0. I have a pump in the water circulating it until I figure out what I am going to do about replacing pool pump. Any advice on the Orange?

Did my first test this morning with FAS-DPD test and water turned orange.
Mark, silly question but I think we need to confirm ....... when you added the powder (R-0870) did it turn orange right away, or did it ever show pink? Or did it turn orange only after using the R-0871 drops? You definitely used the R-0871 drops correct? If nothing odd there, how old is your FAS-DPD?

Lastly, has anything else been added to the water lately other than regular bleach?

I'm also going to edit the thread title (Orange) to grab some more eyes.

Mark, silly question but I think we need to confirm ....... when you added the powder (R-0870) did it turn orange right away, or did it ever show pink? Or did it turn orange only after using the R-0871 drops? You definitely used the R-0871 drops correct? If nothing odd there, how old is your FAS-DPD?

Lastly, has anything else been added to the water lately other than regular bleach?

I'm also going to edit the thread title (Orange) to grab some more eyes.
Yes Pat, it went straight to Orange when the powder was added, and I used the R-0871 drops. I used both last years, and the new reagents that I got about 3 weeks ago (just to make sure it wasn't the reagents). I just opened the pool on Saturday and have not added anything at all this winter. My pump is broke now, and I am in the process of finding a new one.

The DPD indicator should not turn orange. The color a specific dye assumes is based entirely on the molecule itself and it’s atomic structure as well as electron configuration. Orange is very different from the magenta/pink color of the oxidized dye molecule. An orange color would indicate a different absorption happening.

Is the pool water clear? Is the sample water clear? Have you added anything to the water such as metal-based algaecides ? Are you adding two rounded scoops of powder?

The DPD indicator should not turn orange. The color a specific dye assumes is based entirely on the molecule itself and it’s atomic structure as well as electron configuration. Orange is very different from the magenta/pink color of the oxidized dye molecule. An orange color would indicate a different absorption happening.

Is the pool water clear? Is the sample water clear? Have you added anything to the water such as metal-based algaecides ? Are you adding two rounded scoops of powder?

Water is very clear even though I am without a pump and filter now. Sample water was very clear too. I haven't added a drop of anything to since closing it last year. I brought it to SLAM level about 3-4 days before closing and added 16 ozs of Polyquat 60 algaecide then. As far as the powder goes, I have ALWAYS added one heaping scoop to test.

Ok. Something isn’t right. Can you post a picture of what you’re seeing.

Taylor recommends two rounded scoops no matter what water sample size you use. I realize that TFP often advises one rounded scoop with a 10mL sample size but I think that’s being penny-wise/pound-foolish. The R-0870 powder is not that expensive and the cost savings is minimal. The powder contains less than 1% DPD by weight and the rest of it is pH buffers and metal sequestering agents to minimize interferences. When you skimp on powder, you skimp on those elements of the test and you open the test up to possible interferences. I’m not saying that this is the cause of your orange color I’m just making the general statement that skimping is really not worth it. As always, it’s up to you to decide how you want to run the test.

Mark, something else very simple but worth asking I suppose ... the chlorine cylinder ..... any chance it's contaminated? Have you cleaned it out this season? Some will use bleach, let it soak for a few minutes, then rinse really well. I wonder if something coated the inside of your cylinder. Wishful thinking? :)

I will try to get a picture up tomorrow. The cylinder is brand new from TFT test kits. I rinsed it out with tap water, then pool water this morning before testing. As far as the scoops go, I was really just using what info I gathered here. Like I said, it is one heaping scoop and I have never had a problem with this. I will use two rounded scoops in the morning! Thanks you guys for helping!!!!!!

OK, I just tested tap water (on a well here) and no change in the color when powder was added. The powder looks fine, fluffy and a off white color.
As far as the kool aid thing, my wife knew I was going to test for the first time today, and she knows how anal I am about the pool, so she could have sabotaged me I guess. It don't taste like kool aid though.........:cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just as a test, add a drop (something like the size of a Taylor droplet) of laundry bleach to a quart of bottled water. Give it stir or a shake and test it with the DPD powder. It should give you a nice pink color.

Matt and James, I just tried that little test and it worked, the water was pink. After much re-tracing my steps, I found that the 1 cup plastic measuring cup, that I use to gather my pool water everyday had a coating of something slick on the inside (I did rinse out this morning). I have it in the cabinet with all my testing supplies. I'm not sure but it could be cooking spray, like Pam or something. I got another cup and went back out and got more pool water, and it is a nice dark pink, and tested the same amount, 16 drops and a reading of 8. I don't have any idea how anything could have gotten in that cup, and it is marked POOL TEST. It is in the garbage now!! Just goes to show you how much diligence is needed in testing and preparation!! I feel pretty silly now, but lesson learned. Thank you guys so much. Now I got to go pee! HA

I found that the 1 cup plastic measuring cup, that I use to gather my pool water everyday had a coating of something slick on the inside (I did rinse out this morning).
Ahahh MAN! I was soooooo close! I said to clean the testing cylinder and completely forgot about your sample container. RATS!

Well....now we have a great thread next time someone posts about their DPD test turning orange -

“Did you happen to spray your pool with Pam cooking spray before testing??”

Who knows, maybe Pam is like those invisible liquid pool cover products ... just one bottle is all you need to keep the heat in!!

You guys are great!!!!! I may become the PAM MAN now........ha! I'm just going to go ahead and blame my grandkids, they're not here to defend themselves! Or...........maybe my wife sprayed something it before she left for work this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat, James and Matt, instead of starting new thread, a quick question please. My pump is broke and I'm waiting on my pool company. I am just circulating water with a pump and hose. Where should I take my FC level to, and should I add any Polyquat 60 while I wait? Water temp is about 58, with rain the next few days. So much pollen falling to the bottom of the pool now. I can use my robot to get it cleaned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.