Far North Dallas options for Chlorine sources

I noticed the change in sodium hyphochlorite from 6% to 8.25% last week at Walmart. The question is, with the price increase and volume decrease, are we actually on the losing end, even though it requires LESS now that the SH is at 8.25%? My brain is too tired to think this one through.

Cherie said:
I noticed the change in sodium hyphochlorite from 6% to 8.25% last week at Walmart. The question is, with the price increase and volume decrease, are we actually on the losing end, even though it requires LESS now that the SH is at 8.25%? My brain is too tired to think this one through.
Yes it is less chlorine.

6% * 182 = 10.92
8.25% * 121 = 9.98

Additionally higher % chlorine typically decays faster, it is rumored that this does not - time will tell.

- Sent using Tapatalk

The same thing happened all over the Houston are starting late August. I buy my bleach mostly at Wal-mart and Sam's Club. All of the Wal-marts and Sam's Clubs near me have competed the switch to 8.25% in 121 oz jugs. It stinks that we're getting 10% less chlorine for the same price. Also, I didn't mind the lower concentration since I lose so much water to evaporation anyway. :-D

Well, whatever you buy just be careful not to pick up the Clorox Splashless concentrate. I did and was wondering why I was getting suds in the pool and just talked to the folks at Clorox and they said it does not have the same disinfecting effect as regular Clorox. So I'll be visiting my local Walmart, Sams or Kroger.

It makes me wonder what the % of regular bleach sales are attributed to BBB and other purely disinfectant reasons nothing to do with clothing. I suspect retailers and manufacturers will see a large drop in sales if they only sell splash less variety.

Sam's Clubs in N Dallas area sell the package of 3 121 oz bottles of 8.25% regular Clorox for $8.58 which is within a few pennies of the old pack of 3 182 oz bottles of 6%. This is the same package that Costco has.

Although the concentration per oz is higher than before, I agree with what several others have posted about the new 3-pack containing less chlorine overall compared to the former 3-pack. The bleach concentration would have to be ~ 9% for the 121 oz bottles to be equivalent to the total amount of chlorine in the 6% 182 oz bottles.

182 oz / 121 oz = 1.504
6% * 1.504 = 9.025%

9.025% * 121 oz = 10.92 which is equivalent to 6% * 182 oz = 10.92

Figured another way, the 8.25% bottles would have to be ~132.4 oz.
8.25% / 6% = 1.375
182 oz / 1.375 = 132.36

8.25% * 132.36 oz = 10.92 which is equivalent to 6% * 182 oz = 10.92

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.