Fantastic site! Never saw it before! Algae is killing me,HELP!

Pool still cloudy but can just see bottom now! From 9:00PM last night to 8:00 AM this morning the FC dropped from 26 to 24. CC was .5, I have been testing 4 times a day and brushing and vacuuming every day. I really don't think my 250 lb sand filter is doing the job. I changed the sand 2 years ago. I think I will put some DA in it. Pressure was holding at 17 then slowly went to 19. Pool color is a medium/light blue.

CYA does not change in the short term unless you drain a significant amount of water from your pool. So no need to test every day. Once a month is fine.

Take care.

Thanks for your reply mknauss, things are looking up! Drop of FC from 8:00PM last night to 8:15AM this morning of 1 (26 - 25).
FC = 25
CC = 0
pool much clearer, not as clear as my daughters pools (inround pools put in last month) but I can clearly see the bottom. vacuumed brown residue from bottom of pool (not a lot). Brought FC up to 26 again this morning. How would you proceed now?

Am I done? Pool is crystal clear, FC drop from 8:15PM to 8:00 AM this morning was 1, CC = less than .5. There is still a little brown residue in the center of the pool this morning (the pool water circulates around the pool in one direction so stuff congregates in the pool center) heavy rain expected this afternoon. Should I continue one more day? A lot of work, BUT IT WORKED! Now to my neighbors 20,000 gallon inground next door! It is dark GREEN! Going to order a test kit for him. Thanks!

Good for you being a wonderful neighbor! Are they ready to accept TFP! Be careful using the 'bleach':eek:word around them.

The only issue I see is the residue you see. You have a sand filter so I suspect it is just not capturing the really fine stuff.

I would think you can let your FC drop and then stay within the Target level for FC. As you add your liquid chlorine manually be sure to add enough that when you test the next day you find your FC in the Target level. Assume your daily loss is 4 ppm right now and then adjust if your FC rises.

Good job --

Good for you being a wonderful neighbor! Are they ready to accept TFP! Be careful using the 'bleach':eek:word around them.

The only issue I see is the residue you see. You have a sand filter so I suspect it is just not capturing the really fine stuff.

I would think you can let your FC drop and then stay within the Target level for FC. As you add your liquid chlorine manually be sure to add enough that when you test the next day you find your FC in the Target level. Assume your daily loss is 4 ppm right now and then adjust if your FC rises.

Good job --
Thanks mknauss you have been a great help! I am going to go one more day at the high level to make sure, plus wanting to see what the heavy rain this afternoon does! I gave up last year and just closed it down! not this year! Take care and THANKS AGAIN, and yes I am a believer!

Should be no harm to a solar cover. It will reduce your FC loss due to the sun. I assume the pump will still run some each day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool still crystal clear!!! Going to shut it down tomorrow. Got my neighbors pool clear too! ordered a kit for him and we got it cleared up. He has a DA filter and I couldn't believe how much faster it filtered the algae out compared to my sand filter. Thanks again for all of your help! Water too cold to swim now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.