Fall Pool Conditions

melsteph

Gold Supporter
Jun 8, 2013
East Texas
Good Morning!
Here are my test results this week. We've had some rain, much cooler temperatures, and I am running my pump less now also. Pool still looks clear and amazing but want your thoughts on my levels.
Specifically -
1. Why is my pH ALWAYS high within a day or so?
2. Do I need to raise CH going into winter?
3. TA seems to hang out at 200 no matter what I do?

FC - 1
pH - 8+
TA - 220
CH - 110
CYA - 60
Temp (pm) - 70

Thanks,
Melissa

Good morning. Your PH rises because of your very high TA. Search on here about how to lower your TA. Basically it will take a while but you add acid, aerate to raise the PH back up, repeat multiple times until your TA is where it should be.

Also, your FC is way low. You are at 1 FC and below your minimum of 3, with a target of 4. I would up the output or run time of your SWCG.

With TA that high you won't need to aerate to raise ph, as you have already discovered. Just add MA to lower PH down to 7.2 or so whenever PH reaches around 8. Each time you lower PH your TA will do down also. Once you reach 50 to 80 TA the PH rise should slow down significantly.

If you have high TA in your fill water and need to add due to evaporation or a leak, you will fight a tough battle to get TA down. Also, any jets / water falls etc will accelerate the PH rise.
Echo on the FC of 1 which is an opening for algae. Never let your FC get below the minimum of 3.

Good Luck!

What test kit are you using?

What targets are you managing your water chemistry to?

What is the pH, TA & CH of your fill water?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.