Fairly New Pool Owner

We have been shocking once a week and keeping 1- 1 1/2 tabs in the floater. Yet the CC is never below 5 and sometimes reads 10, since we started it up. We also use algaecide once a week. There had been algae for several weeks so 4 days ago we triple shocked it and it looks clear now . I've used two different brands of strips and one chemical kit and the only thing they agree on is the chlorine is too high. What can we do to lower it?

Total chlorine includes both free chlorine and combined chlorine (aka CC, aka chloramines). CC is created as free chlorine gets rid of (mostly) ammonia. The main source of ammonia is human secretions such as urine and sweat. It can also enter pools by use of some non-recommended chemicals. Full sun on the pool will usually break down the chloramines after a few hours of water circulation.

Have a read through those links I pasted above. Depending on your cost of water, you can also consider replacing the water and starting from scratch, which is sometimes a useful option. You'll benefit by doing your own testing with a drop-based test kit, such as described here:
Test Kits Compared

Welcome to TFP.
Follow the link posted above and you will ahead of the game in a few days. Knowledge is the key.
Test your own water.
You have to have a reason to add something to your pool. That reason is never "The pool store said to add......."
Take Shock for instant. Why are you adding? On my second year with my TFP and have never added Shock. With well maintained water chemistry its simply not needed.

Total chlorine includes both free chlorine and combined chlorine (aka CC, aka chloramines). CC is created as free chlorine gets rid of (mostly) ammonia. The main source of ammonia is human secretions such as urine and sweat. It can also enter pools by use of some non-recommended chemicals. Full sun on the pool will usually break down the chloramines after a few hours of water circulation.

Have a read through those links I pasted above. Depending on your cost of water, you can also consider replacing the water and starting from scratch, which is sometimes a useful option. You'll benefit by doing your own testing with a drop-based test kit, such as described here:
Test Kits Compared
Thank you for getting back to me. I purchased a kit from Amazon described as a Taylor K 1004, but when I received it the number on the box has E2095 Deluxe Pool Care DPD test kit. Not knowing anything about them, I didn't question it much. So maybe it is not that reliable?
Are you saying the Combined Chlorine is inactive chlorine?
It's just my husband and I using the pool.
Thanks again.

Welcome to TFP.
Follow the link posted above and you will ahead of the game in a few days. Knowledge is the key.
Test your own water.
You have to have a reason to add something to your pool. That reason is never "The pool store said to add......."
Take Shock for instant. Why are you adding? On my second year with my TFP and have never added Shock. With well maintained water chemistry its simply not needed.
How do you sanitize if you don't shock? I triple shocked because we had small spots of algae on the floor of the pool and I wanted to stop it before it became a big problem.

Do the reading. All the answers are there.

If CC is not arising from hard play in the pool, then you have a different source of contamination, or possibly have used non-recommended ammonia containing chemicals.

TFPC uses chlorine to sanitise the pool, either from pool chlorinating liquid or made at home with a saltwater chlorine generator. There are other options for specific circumstances, such as needing more calcium or stabiliser, but those are exceptions.

How do you sanitize if you don't shock? I triple shocked because we had small spots of algae on the floor of the pool and I wanted to stop it before it became a big problem.
Simple, I maintain my chlorine with a SWG at the upper range for my CYA. At that level my pool is always sanitized. Why should I add more chlorine (Shock) when its not needed? Algae is because chlorine levels are not being maintained. Weekly Shock treatment is like treating the symptoms instead of curing the problem through the "SLAM" process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please read thru pool basic care, all the answers are there, especially in the Non-Recommended Chemicals section.

One thing that sticks out, is the use of algicides, most algicides are oxidized by chlorine, which reduces free chlorine and increases combined chlorine. In most cases algicides are not needed during normal pool operations.

Since 2020, when I switched to the TFP methos, I have not shocked my pool, and I've never had an algae problem, for the first season, I used liquid chlorine and switched to SWG in 2021. I stay out of pool stores, and we enjoy sparkling clear water. Once you learn, there are no secrets or magic potions that "fix' your pool, it's simple water chemistry.