Failed OCLT, Ready to Slam

Minda Martin

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2019
Arkansas
I took the OCLT and lost about 1.5. My PH is high so I just added Muriatic Acid in front of the return in the deep end to hopefully bring it down to 7.2 and will be checking again in 2 hours. FC is 3 right now and calls for a SLAM of 28. Do I need to balance anything else before I start the SLAM? Pool math says I need 8 gallons or 8.1 of bleach. Do I use them all at one time or space them out?

CYA is 40. Do I add the dry stabilizer now or wait until after the SLAM? Do I steal all my husband's boot socks and hang them all in front of the skimmers or do one at a time? Lol! Pool Math says I need 5 lbs 13 oz of stabilizer.

My pool is clear with no visible signs of algae. No slickness on walls or floor. Return jets look good except for a little rust color on bottoms that can't be scrubbed off. Skimmers and intakes look good. Where could that algae be hiding?

I will be turning the SWG to 00 before starting. Pressure stays stable at 11 and after a minute on backwash, shows clear, rinse is clear in 30 seconds.

If your CYA is 40 your SLAM value is 16, not 28. (Use the non-SWG chart for now) Leave your CYA at 40, it will make it easier to SLAM (lower SLAM level to maintain).

This should be a very quick SLAM. If you continue to fail the OCLT, check in ladders, behind niche lights, etc for hiding algae.

Reactions: Minda Martin
If you need to SLAM, do not add CYA. You only need that when your SWCG will be providing the chlorine for maintenance. You are now following the SLAM Process. You treat your pool as non-SWCG, as that is what it is when you are using bleach to follow the SLAM Process

Your SLAM level FC is 16 ppm with a CYA of 40.

Mr Bruce beat me to it !

If you need to SLAM, do not add CYA. You only need that when your SWCG will be providing the chlorine for maintenance. You are now following the SLAM Process. You treat your pool as non-SWCG, as that is what it is when you are using bleach to follow the SLAM Process

Your SLAM level FC is 16 ppm with a CYA of 40.

Mr Bruce beat me to it !
Thank goodness for great people who help others! I will recalculate!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.