Faded brand new fiberglass pool/ calcium scaling?

RNMSG

Dec 23, 2018
Prairieville LA
Our light blue fiberglass pool was installed the first week of August 2018. Over the last few months we have noticed areas in the pool which appear to be turning lighter blue. When looked at closely, it appears that the “glittery “ “ sparkly” color of the pool is more prevalent. It is smooth to touch. Our contractor blew us off and told us to contact the manufacturer. The manufacturer told us he thinks it is calcium scaling and sent a treatment which we applied on the 11th with Staintrine. I’m unsure what was in the treatment because it was sent without a label. There has been no improvement with treatment. In fact it appears to be spreading and getting worse. The entire pool has changed to a lighter color with some areas that look streaky. Has anyone had this problem with a brand new fiberglass pool? Does this sound like calcium scaling? Could it be a gel coat problem? We did contact the manufacturer again and he will send another treatment after the holidays, but I’m not very hopeful since the first one didn’t help. It’s very upsetting since our pool is only 5 months old.

in order to answer, we need to know your water chemistry.
John is spot-on. As a FB owner myself and having experienced my own version of chalky color changes, it all starts with knowing what your levels are now and have been historically. In addition, please add to your signature which test kit you are using to test your water. As a new member, maker sure to start at our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry page, then do a quick search for chalky, chalkiness, or faded fiberglass and you'll see several threads - one of them my own.

Once we see your testing history, we can help give you some things to go on. Welcome! :wave:

Reactions: ridingglassfamily
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.