f90059 alarm overcurrent on pentair intelliflo 2 vst variable speed pump

May 15, 2018
mineral ridge, ohio
I was opening my pool and got this alarm right when I turned on the breaker. also, I have no power to the heater. i did not have any issues with either of these issues previously. I tried to reset pump, but no help. I also shut it down and turned back on several times, but no change. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

mike

Mike,

Since you have two devices with power issues, I would assume that you have a breaker issue..

Do you have a voltmeter? If so, you need to test the input AC power.

I assume it is 240 volts and that you have lost one of the two hot wires, either L1 or L2

Tell me how the AC gets to your pool equipment? From the main panel, does it go to a sub panel at your equipment pad or maybe an old timer?

The first step would be to measure between the L1 and L2 inputs to the pump. Only measure between the two hot leads, do not measure to ground as this can give you a false reading.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thank you for the response, I was able to get the heater and the pump running.
All I did was remove the drive and they kicked on, maybe a loose wire, IDK.
However, once the pump kicked on, it is really loud compared to how it usually is.
It is a Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST variable speed pump.
I did let it run for 15 -20 minutes to see if it would subside, but no luck.
I also shut it down and cleaned out the basket and anything that may be in the impeller.
Any thoughts, bearings, tear apart pump to see if anything is causing the noise?

I appreciate any feedback.

mike

Mike,

I assume you put the drive back on the pump....

From the motor fan end, you should be able to use a socket or nut driver and turn the motor.. (Obviously with the motor off..) and see how hard is it to turn.. sounds like a bearing or corrosion issue..

Has water been leaking out of the small hole on the bottom of the pump? Right where the pump and the motor connect??

Thanks,

Jim R.

I did put the drive back on the pump and rechecked to make sure everything was tightened up properly.
I will try that as soon as i get home and let you know.

There was a tiny bit of water below that plug, but wasn't sure if it was from not tightening it after putting it back in when setting up the pool.
I do take out all the plugs from pump and heater for the winter.

Thanks,

mike