Eyeballs stuck in return line

Sad to say that then first return seems to have gotten larger with age. And, somehow two eyeballs have gotten lodged in the return line. There are 5 eyeballs. With two on the steps and one after. I have seen one at the end but have not been able to grab it. Now it seems that between the first and a second return it is blocking water flow to the last 4. The lines are 1-1/2 inch. In ground pool. Six foot of concrete all around. The installer won’t respond to me. He is busy building horse barns… Viking pool. 15x35 fiberglass, kidney shape 3 to 8 feet.
How can I get them out?

Welcome to TFP.

Show us pics of your eyeballs. There are different model eyeballs that require special tools to remove.

It is actually just the diverter that went into the return line. I just now got one out by forcing water from the return line at the pump and had four of the five returns plugged. Had to drain the water down some. I hooked it with a pail handle and got needle nose players to hold it and was going to try and break it or saw it, but it just pulled out. The other one is stuck somewhere in between the first return hole which sees to be a larger hole. I asked the installer if I could put in new eyeballs and he said I would need to get to the other side. With the patio all around that’s not happening. These are the two types that were installed.
1627325973925.jpeg

Sorry I'm not understanding how the eyeball gets stuck in the return. This is supposed to be a three part eyeball, the rear most part goes into the I'd and can't fit through. Then the eyeball followed by the exterior most part that has 11/2" threads to tighten it down. Did I miss something?

I used a hose with a sink rubber expansion bladder at the pump. Got one out then it burst. Wondering where the other one is. It seems to be blocking the water after the first return outlet. Goes past the skimmer and is the next hole. Just a little flow at the four other holes.
Sorry I'm not understanding how the eyeball gets stuck in the return. This is supposed to be a three part eyeball, the rear most part goes into the I'd and can't fit through. Then the eyeball followed by the exterior most part that has 11/2" threads to tighten it down. Did I miss something?
the picture showed two different balls and a retainer ring that holds it in the fitting. I think that the first return might be a bit bigger (different brand) than the others. Also, some of the wrangling in open and closing may have damaged the threads? In any event, one was integer for two years and it came out yesterday as described above. The other one went in last year through the first return hold and I have not been able to find it. I have the water, now green, just above all but the two at the steps. I might just fill it up again and see if the water is now flowing to all returns.

Also, while we are at it…when I dropped the water level so try to get the eyeballs out, where the water is below the skimmer, the next day there was more water in the pool!😳 it did not rain and no water was added! And for future questions, here is another…this pool has two bottom drains near the floor. Viking fiberglass pool. The system does not work when that valve is turned on🥴. That has been for several years. So it is off and I keep a Kreepy Krauler in the pool most of the time. Which of course makes the skimmer useless for skimming. Yes, and the installer for this 40k plus does not. Return my calls or messages…for the last three years …

One way around this is to get a robot cleaner and let the skimmer do its job. You have some serious swamp there and get on this immediately.
Thanks for replying. The problem is the bottom drains are not working. When I open the valve the system stops working. So my immediate fix was the kreepy krauly that sucks off the bottom while cleaning. Problem then is the skimmer doesn’t get to do its job😳might be a leak in the line?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If only one return is plugged can you run the pump with the others and leave the cap/ ring off of the plugged one? (Maybe it be come out over time)
I ran it with the first return open and the others with the eyeball in. Worked ok last year. The first return seems to be a larger opening than the others. I had never noticed that until last season. I’ll have to measure it to be sure. Perhaps there is a part that screws in first that was never installed? All I have is a small ring and the eyeball as in the picture above.

It is actually just the diverter that went into the return line. I just now got one out by forcing water from the return line at the pump and had four of the five returns plugged. Had to drain the water down some. I hooked it with a pail handle and got needle nose players to hold it and was going to try and break it or saw it, but it just pulled out. The other one is stuck somewhere in between the first return hole which sees to be a larger hole. I asked the installer if I could put in new eyeballs and he said I would need to get to the other side. With the patio all around that’s not happening. These are the two types that were installed.
View attachment 358698
From the way it looks to me the part on the right is broken off a treaded end of pipe. What do you still have protruding from the return at the wall as this looks like it came from one of the return pipes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.