eyeball leaking after opening pool

I opened my pool yesterday and had a hard time getting one of the winter plugs out of the eyeball fitting. The eyeball collar was turning with the plug when trying to remove the plug. I finally got the plug out and tightened down the collar as best I could and inserted the eyeball. I now have a sizable leak this AM. Help me understand how these collars are installed. Does the eyeball collar need to be tightened more (or is this a PVC bonding failure outside my fiberglass shell that I need a pool company (and excavation equipment 🤢) to fix?

I opened my pool yesterday and had a hard time getting one of the winter plugs out of the eyeball fitting. The eyeball collar was turning with the plug when trying to remove the plug. I finally got the plug out and tightened down the collar as best I could and inserted the eyeball. I now have a sizable leak this AM. Help me understand how these collars are installed. Does the eyeball collar need to be tightened more (or is this a PVC bonding failure outside my fiberglass shell that I need a pool company (and excavation equipment 🤢) to fix?
Just for clarification, My terminology might not be correct. What was spinning while trying to unscrew the winter plug was the flat piece that directly contacts the pool wall.