Charleston, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
I've been fighting very high CC levels for a while and can't seem to get them down. Salt Water Plaster Pool, Chemical Levels (with FAS-DPD chlorine test):

FC: 2ppm
CC: Over 20ppm (seriously, I stopped at 40 drops and the sample was still pink)
pH: 7.5
Salt Level: 3000ppm
TA: 90
CYA: 0 (I added enough this morning to get it to 30, will have to wait a day or two)

Yes, I know my CYA is 0. I did try shocking it with LC using the SLAM method for 3 days and I kept the FC around 15ppm, but I'll try again after getting the CYA up. Here's the weird thing: my pool water is crystal clear. Seriously, I don't notice any issues and don't notice a chlorine smell. I tried the CC test multiple times with FAS-DPD and DPD and they all say the same thing. Could something else be throwing the test off or is it really that high?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: At first I was thinking perhaps ammonia, but you stated you've been able to maintain an FC of 15 right? Is that consistently? It doesn't drop drastically at any time? By any chance have you added anything else to the water this winter? Any antifreeze, algaecides, or anything from the pool store? MPS shock products? Any chance recent heavy rains may have pushed debris or lawn chemicals into the water? I was just in Columbia this week for an Army graduation and we were soaked all week.

That level of CC is very unlikely unless you used sulfamic acid (Jack's #2 copper and Scale stuff) or your cyanuric acid was converted into ammonia by bacteria.

Have you used sulfamic acid or did your cyanuric acid suddenly disappear?

Are you sure that you're doing the test correctly?

Verify the test procedure and follow through to completion.

Try testing your tap water to verify that the test is working properly.

Funny you should mention Jack's #2 copper and Scale stuff. My pool underwent that treatment back in October. Could that be the reason for the high reading? My pool has had the problem with the high CC since then. The CYA level has been 0 since then as well.

Jack's #2 is responsible for the cc. Just ignore it and it will eventually go away. Just use total chlorine as free and you should be fine.

Run the test to completion to get the actual level.

Bring up the CYA to normal levels.

FC + CC = TC. So when you do the tests, add your FC and CC together and just consider that total number as your FC for now until the elevated CC goes away. Once things settle down, you can test FC by itself the normal way with the FAS-DPD powder & drops.

FC + CC = TC.

Just get your cyanuric acid level right and then maintain the total chlorine (TC) at the correct fc level.

Sulfamic acid is similar to cyanuric acid in that chlorine will combine with it and reach an equilibrium.

The bond is actually stronger than with cyanuric acid.

That's why the chlorine registers as CC.

Periodically do an OCLT to detect any excessive organic buildup.

As long as you're passing the OCLT, your total chlorine level should be adequate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK! Ran it again, it's at about 17. Crazy to think that sulfamic acid from October is still in the pool. Even after some heavy rain storms. Turned off the SWG. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: JamesW
Update on numbers:

ph: 7.4
FC: 0.2
CC: 13
CYA: 45
TA: 75
Salt: 3450
Calcium Hardness: 300

Pool water still looks great. I've had the SWG off for the last week.

Note your CYA is 50. We round up. If the dot disappears between 50 and 40 you call it 50.

Update on numbers:

ph: 7.5
FC: 1.0
CC: 6.0
CYA: 60
TA: 75
Salt: 3250
Calcium Hardness: 300

I've had my SWG off this whole time, but I noticed my FC went up. Any reason why?

It's from sulfamic acid.

The sulfamic acid is probably going away and the fc should be increasing as the sulfamic acid goes away.

Maintain the total chlorine at the correct amount and you should be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.