Sarahrs

Jan 24, 2021
Uk -South East
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m looking to add a stand alone solar heating system to my pool. I would like it to be completely independent to my filtration system, so that I can run both systems to their optimum. I have upgraded my pool from 32 to 38 mm fittings, so am happy to cut the liner, however, that was done over an already reinforced area. So my question is ; has anyone added new inlet/outlets? Did you reinforce the area prior to cutting, if so what did you use, how did you find it worked. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I’m looking to add a stand alone solar heating system to my pool. I would like it to be completely independent to my filtration system, so that I can run both systems to their optimum. I have upgraded my pool from 32 to 38 mm fittings, so am happy to cut the liner, however, that was done over an already reinforced area. So my question is ; has anyone added new inlet/outlets? Did you reinforce the area prior to cutting, if so what did you use, how did you find it worked. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Ohhh good question. Sorry I don’t have an answer but I’m planning to install a skimmer on my rectangular Intex XTR. I was thinking about adding extra vinyl (via Boxer repair kit) to the liner where the screws go in but can’t make up my mind.
I’m also interested in what others have done.
Ps I see you are UK also, what test kit do you use? I’m really struggling to find a FAS-dpd one at reasonable money.

I just use the aqua check strips. I use multifunction tablets (the large 200g) dump some liquid shock every so often and run the filter a few hours a day (2800gph -a bit overkill for the size of pool but keeps the water crystal clear.) I don’t want to spend hours fussing over water chemistry and the strips work well for me.

Multiple people here have cut in skimmers and extra intakes or returns with no issues, and no vinyl reinforcement. Just remember to have water in the pool up to a couple of inches below your cut so that your liner is already stretched, and measure carefully. Lots of threads here that can help walk you through it.

Reactions: Michelle22
Multiple people here have cut in skimmers and extra intakes or returns with no issues, and no vinyl reinforcement. Just remember to have water in the pool up to a couple of inches below your cut so that your liner is already stretched, and measure carefully. Lots of threads here that can help walk you through it.
Thank you Kelly that inspires me with more confidence to know others have successfully done this. I did try and look but couldn’t find anything other than cutting extra holes for skimmers - I must not have been using the right search terms -if you can sign post me to anything I would be very grateful.

There used to be some really good threads that gave step by step instructions in photos in the helpful tips post pinned to the top of this forum, but unfortunately with time and changes to the website the photos aren’t viewable any more. Having said that, the instructions would be virtually that same as they are for cutting the skimmer hole. You certainly can reinforce the area by applying a pool patch if you want to, but I don’t think it is necessary as long as you have the correct gaskets and such - they will provide reinforcement and give a good seal.

Do you already have all your connections and so on? I’m going to attach a couple of photos of my old set up... not sure if they’ll give you the detail you probably need.

74B64B96-46CA-4392-BA31-3CCEFF978489.jpeg

So the photo above is the skimmer. Notice that there is only the single pool wall layer. I drained the pool to just below where I wanted to install, installed only the faceplate, made the cut, removed the faceplate and added the butterfly gasket, then installed the skimmer.

3BE68B82-BB8D-41DF-92B1-AADDB631B894.jpeg

This photo shows you the skimmer on the outside, and where I cut the holes so I could add the standard 1.5” connections. Again, I made sure the water was below the openings, and used the gasket/o-ring from the connections to trace where I would cut. Then after I made the cut, I inserted the connection so I could make sure there were no little imperfections in my cut that would interfere with getting a good seal. I installed all the pieces, making sure to use gaskets or o-rings, and used pool lubricant to make sure I got a good seal.

Highly recommend valves everywhere so you can shut off the flow when needed.

By the way, I plugged the one intake since I was using skimmer as an intake. And I replaced the Intex hose with flex PVC.

Thank you so much for all that info, it’s really helpful and detailed. I’m going to start sourcing the kit I need (unfortunately all the parts required are less readily available in the uk -and more expensive) so I shall start my search now and hopefully by spring I shall have all I require. Thanks again.

Can I ask why you want your solar heater system independent of your filtration system? You'll need a second pump, and as you're asking about, separate plumbing and pool wall penetrations. And I think you're going to have problems if you don't filter the water running through the solar panels, so you'll need a second filter, too. What are you gaining by running two separate systems?

Can I ask why you want your solar heater system independent of your filtration system? You'll need a second pump, and as you're asking about, separate plumbing and pool wall penetrations. And I think you're going to have problems if you don't filter the water running through the solar panels, so you'll need a second filter, too. What are you gaining by running two separate systems?
I already have a seperate filter/pump for the solar system and use it currently on a diverter. My main pump/filter is way too strong for my solar mats and last year despite trying to divert the flow to decrease the pressure through the mats I lost three mats as the pump was just too strong. My main pump keeps the pool crystal clear, so I don’t want to change it. I ended up running a lower hp pump for the solar mats while the sun was out and just ran the main pump (once diverted) early morning and later evening. It would be good to just have a seperate system, so that I can heat the pool whilst also vacuuming with main pump or just giving the pool a good filter.

Understood. My filtering, heating and chlorine generation happen all with the same pump, at the same time. So that's very efficient. My vac runs at night. So no conflicts there. Each operation gets the optimal flow rate it needs. All the water gets filtered.

My panels need 40GPM, so I don't have the issue of too much HP to the panels. My VS pump takes care of that. This diagram shows a bypass intended to address your situation. But I believe a three-way valve adjusted properly would accomplish the same thing. How did you attempt to divert the flow through your mats? And, of course, you can just say "pass" on this conversation if you're not interested...

solar plumbing 1.gif

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.