Extension Cord Intex

Momofthreema

Apr 27, 2020
Massachusetts
So, we got the in Tex 12x24x52 pool up today and the cord is about 10 feet short of the outlet. It is only likely to be a one season pool and comes with a GFCI cord. Can we use a 10 gauge heavy duty extension cord if we turn the pump off while the pool is in use?

I will simply say that use of an extension cord is not permitted by the National Electric Code. The NEC is focused in safety, not just what will work.

Ok...I’m just looking for the easiest solution. The pump will never be in use when anyone is in the pool anyway and there is no place to put an outlet as it’s basically in the middle of the yard. I guess maybe the question should have been is anyone doing this successfully? And if you are, does the gfci on the cord trip the gfci on the extension cord...I’m not sure if the two are going to interfere with each other. Seems like this is a common issue, I don’t know why intex doesn’t make a longer cord.

Intex does not make a longer cord because the NEC specifies that a pool pump cord be a maximum of 3 feet.

What is successfully? That no one has been hurt yet?

Will it work? Sure.

Is it safe? No.

Do people do it? I am sure some do.

Every homeowner needs to make personal decisions in how safe they want their family to be. Strangers on the internet cannot make that decision for you.

Intex does not make a longer cord because the NEC specifies that a pool pump cord be a maximum of 3 feet.
3' is for permanent pools. For storable pools, such as an Intex, the code is different. It actually requires a minimum length of 25' with a built-in GFCI. The long minimum length is to discourage the use of extension cords.

Pictured: My Intex pump for proof.
IMG_20200520_195627220.jpg

To the OP: With 25'+ of cord, you still cannot make it work? Can you rotate the pool to get the pump on the side of the house or is that already the case? Is there any room to shift the pool closer to the house?

Reactions: Momofthreema
3' is for permanent pools. For storable pools, such as an Intex, the code is different. It actually requires a minimum length of 25' with a built-in GFCI. The long minimum length is to discourage the use of extension cords.

Pictured: My Intex pump for proof.
View attachment 140465

To the OP: With 25'+ of cord, you still cannot make it work? Can you rotate the pool to get the pump on the side of the house or is that already the case? Is there any room to shift the pool closer to the house?
Unfortunately, it’s the only place that it can sit because of our septic system, and the cord is 10ft too short. The building dept has to do the final sign off, so I can ask them when they come...but because of Covid, they are working reduced hours. I want to do the right thing, but because this is a temporary pool, I don’t want an outlet in the middle of our yard. I had no idea that I couldn’t do this with a heavy gauge extension cord. So, I am just looking for a safe option that doesn’t involve an outlet where we won’t need one after this summer.

If it were me & i had to choose I would definitely go with a 10 gauge over a 12. The issue aside from electrocution via 2 wet cords plugged together on the ground is that too small of a cord can cause the plug and/or the pump itself to over heat & melt components. There are YouTube videos of this very thing not just with intex but other pool pump motors that were plugged in to an extension cord that was too small &/or too long.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If an inspection has to be done an extension cord will definitely not pass. Also the majority of folks that put the larger intex pools up keep them up through the winter & have them for several seasons. It may not end up as temporary as u think. Do u plan on adding a swg ? That would be another cord. A Heater? ...
A quad gfci on a post 6-10ft from the pool would be the best solution.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.