Extending Wifi to the Pool Area

Sounds like JohnT has the simplest solution. Just use powerline networking. I have not had a need to do this yet but I believe the technology has advanced and will work. When others are talking about POE are you talking about Power Over Ethernet? If you are doing power over ethernet then you are already running an ethernet cable so problem solved. I apologize in advance if this is not the POE mentioned.

PowerLine adapters should be avoided when possible, the tech has gotten better and the performance is now acceptable but the security on these range from poor to weak.

Link on poor security: Vulnerability: Infiltrating a network via Powerline (HomePlugAV) adapters - www.bentasker.co.uk

PoE is Power over Ethernet, the line of thinking is you run this the closest you can get and put an access point there (if you can't make it to the pergola the closest outer wall of the house would probably work), if you have devices that can be wired at that location then sure add in some more runs and wire those..but I assume you'll want to use wifi devices out there so you'll need the AP.

From a performance perspective I would go with The powerline Ethernet rather than ANY repeater. Repeaters are too hard to setup correctly and most cut bandwidth in half ..

The security issues mentioned for Power Line Ethernet are not something I would worry about. In most cases the signal wont pass your meter, and in some cases Ive seen them not pass from one circuit to another or from a main panel to a sub panel ...

Im lucky I have cat 5 in the garage next to the pool and I stuck an older Ubiquiti Nano AP there...

If I could just find a BLUETOOTH repeater I would be a happy camper

I work in IT and have done a bunch of these. Look into the Ubiquiti stuff that was pointed out. They setup a dedicated link that can run up to km's in length. It does not cut the bandwidth in half. We run several HD security cameras at a local theme park using just these links. 2 Ubiquiti loco's that will do this easily for less than $200 at Amazon.com. You can also use the AP's that was pictured above as well.

Great stuff and beats the tar out of powerline. The ubiquiti stuff or the mesh network stuff is nothing like the repeaters of a couple years ago.

OP here, thanks to everyone for their thoughts/inputs.

Living in the country security isn't a concern. We have a neighbor fairly close on only 1 side and almost no traffic on a cul de sac street. It's doubtful the signal would even reach the neighbors. They'll be on the wrong side of a metal bldg with cedar trees between us and them.

The Hawking unit (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00S6DB4S0/ref=psdc_1194486_t2_B003O7MY1E) looks like it might be our solution.

We already have a Netgear Powerline Access Point in an outdoor closet connected to a Sonos Connect Amp. This powers the pergola speakers. Drill a hole for the wires, mount the unit and it would be directed pretty much exactly where we need it.

This would involve plugging the Netgear equipment into an ethernet switch tying in the Sonos Connect Amp and Hawking Wifi Access Point.

Thumbs up or thumbs down on this plan??

It should provide connectivity.

The question is how good will the connection be....you will be sharing whatever link speed your powerline adapter for the sonos is achieving.

The security concern was leakage through the electrical wiring on power line adapters..but it looks like you are already taking that (small) risk. I know most people don't care about it...but just thought I would make you aware as I personally don't like using products that create an unnecessary risk.

For your wireless you should be fine using WPA2 security.

OP here, thanks to everyone for their thoughts/inputs.

Living in the country security isn't a concern. We have a neighbor fairly close on only 1 side and almost no traffic on a cul de sac street. It's doubtful the signal would even reach the neighbors. They'll be on the wrong side of a metal bldg with cedar trees between us and them.

The Hawking unit (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00S6DB4S0/ref=psdc_1194486_t2_B003O7MY1E) looks like it might be our solution.

We already have a Netgear Powerline Access Point in an outdoor closet connected to a Sonos Connect Amp. This powers the pergola speakers. Drill a hole for the wires, mount the unit and it would be directed pretty much exactly where we need it.

This would involve plugging the Netgear equipment into an ethernet switch tying in the Sonos Connect Amp and Hawking Wifi Access Point.

Thumbs up or thumbs down on this plan??

I just installed this to extend my wifi out to our dock which is about 50' from the house. We have a small ranch block house and previously I couldn't get service except right by the house. I bought the 2 pack and so far so good.

I am looking into getting one of the new mesh network setups as well. Anyone with experience getting these signals outdoors to the pool please share. I know they get great reviews for covering a large house, but my airport extreme covers my house good enough. Im more interested if it can get a good signal out to the pool area, where a decent signal is hit or miss right now.

I just installed two ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE access points last weekend & finished up this weekend with cleaning up wiring. These things are great. 1 in basement and 1 on 2nd floor. Might have to put the PRO in the back corner of the garage to cover POOL and grille locations to get 5G at both. 2G in the whole yard. Only .25 Acre though.

On Windows 10 you need 64 bit JAVA to run and install the CONTROLLER software.

I've had the eero system for a few weeks now and it's been great! I have about 1500 sf (counting garage area) on a 100' x 90' lot. My house is a block 1 story. I used a 2 pack, but you can add more if your space is larger. No running wires and I'm getting great wifi all over my property including my toy hauler RV in the side yard, and my boat on the dock about 50' from the house. Complete plug and play, and super easy to set up. I highly recommend!
eero - Finally, WiFi that works

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah poe is he way to go. I've got a poe wap too and they work pretty good. Just plug it into your home network win a cat 5 cable and your good to go. The ubiquity ones the other dude has is better than mine. I installed 6 of the ubiquity waps in my office building at work and we have had no problems with them at all. Sometimes the one at my house needs to be reset so I just unplug it to reset.

I've also seen a couple other extenders that use the existing electrical wires. No experience with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry joeself. That was a general statement. All they make right now is 5E. I haven't seen plain old cat 5 cable for maybe 12 years. Maybe even longer. I've been in the industry for 24 years.
And why would you want to spend the extra money on cat 6 if 5E works at 1g? Don't forget your router needs to be 1gb too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.