Extending Life of SWG

briansturgeon

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
What are some of the most important factors for extending the life of a cell? I have the Pentair IC40 and I have my pool opened from around early May through Sept or so. Here are some questions that come to mind.

1. Is it better to run it for a shorter period of time at a higher % or vice versa?
2. Should I remove my cell in the winter?
3. Do I really need to buy one of those cleaners and use it on my cell?

This is my first full summer with our pool as we finished it halfway through last summer.

Thanks.

1) No difference. Total chlorine produced is what matters. It doesn't matter how you get there.
2) Doesn't matter much.
3) Not unless you get scaling, and if so, you should rebalance your chemistry so you don't get scaling in the cell.

The main effect on cell lifetime is maintaining proper chemical levels, especially PH and CYA. Avoiding anything that might require cleaning the cell also helps. If you have to clean the cell then you have to clean the cell, but don't get into the situation in the first place if you can avoid it.

Ok. I had thought I heard somewhere that the total run time (amount of time producing chlorine) is what determined the cell life. But I also have heard that using super chorinate feature and running higher % effected the life so I didn't know what to believe. That is why I was curious if I'm better off to run it at 100% for say 8 hours instead of say 50% for 16 hours in terms of cell life. But then again I guess the electric bill for the extended run time would offset any future cell savings.

My chlorine levels are fine but I'm just trying to fine tune things now to make it the most efficient it can be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.