Exploring a new build in Las Vegas

arg

Jul 24, 2016
North Las Vegas, NV
Hello, we are currently getting proposals to have a new pool installed at our home in the Las Vegas area and just wanted to ask if the quotes that we are receiving are reasonable. Here are the specs:
11'x27' rectangular gunite pool w/36" raised bond beam along the back (20 ft) for a water feature with 3 12" scuppers. Quartz interior finish
400k BTU gas heater
SWCG
LED lights
Automation system
Approx. 275 sqft of spray deck concrete decking around the pool

So far, we've received 4 quotes from local builders. They range from $67k-75k. There is a wide price variation amongst the different proposals for the different line items (excavation, decking, equipment, etc) sometimes by several thousand dollars, yet they all end up in the same ballpark with the total cost. Kinda feels like they're just making up numbers. Advice? Should I get more quotes? There's no shortage of pool builders in Las Vegas, so I could get more quotes, but I'm not sure if these prices are good, bad or ugly.

Thanks!

Look at that! Someone from North town. I don't see that very often as a former Rancho alumni. :) The cost of $65 - $75K is probably not too far off, but indeed some more equipment info would help. If you can obtain or post the specific make/models of the heater, SWG, pump, and filter from each quote it would help. More details about the specific type of automation as well. Lots of variables that can influence the cost. We have many folks here to help.

Welcome! :wave:

Sure here's what they've given me for equipment lists (Yes, I know some of them are vague):

Bid #1:
Jandy 2.7HP VSP
Jandy Cartridge Filter
Jandy Never lube valves
Fusion In line chlorinator
Jandy Nature 2 Salt Sanitation
Premier Brilliance LED Pool lighting
Jandy JXI 400k BTU gas heater
Jandy Aqualink automation

Bid #2:
Pentair Variable speed pump
Pentair 420 Clean and Clear Filter
Pentair 400k btu Master temp gas heater
All Jandy valves
Pentair Easy Touch 4 w/Screenlogic automation
3 Pentair Microbrite LED lights
Pentair IC40 SWCG

Bid #3
Pentair 420 Clean and Clear Filter
Pentair 400k Btu Master temp gas heater
Pentair IC40 SWCG
Jandy Never lube valves
2 Pentair Glowbrite lights
Intelliconnect Control Panel with wifi controls
Variable speed booster pump for water feature

Bid #4
Pentair 420 Clean and Clear filter
Pentair 400k Btu Master Temp gas heater
All Jandy or Pentair valves
Pentair IC40 SWCG
Pentair IntelliPh controller
2 Pentair Globrite LED lights
Pentair Intellicenter i5P automation

arg,

Bids #2, 3 and 4 are all most identical except for the automation..

You will not at all be happy with the IntelliConnect shown in Bid #3.. It is cheap, but then again it has all the capabilities that you would expect from something that costs so little.

Bid #2 lists the EasyTouch with ScreenLogic... This is the system that I have, and I love it.. That said, it I were building a new pool today, I would buy the newer IntelliCenter.. The cost difference between an EasyTouch with ScreenLogic and an IntelliCenter is less than a couple hundred dollars.

Bid #4 lists the IntelliCenter. If I were only looking at the automation, I would go with this one. But, I would delete the ipH controller.. It is not needed in most cases and easy to add after the fact if later on you want to add it.. It just makes something easy, more complex..

No matter what automation you pick, you want the SWCG's power center to be internal to the main unit. This eliminates the IntelliConnect and leaves you with the EasyTouch or IntelliCenter.

The CCP 420 filter will work just fine, but the bigger the filter the less often you need to clean it.. I suggest that you go with the 520 as the overall cost difference is not that great.

You want to make sure that you are getting the IntelliFlo pump and not the SuperFlo VS. The larger the pump, the more water it can move at lower RPMs... I have the IntelliFlo and I run it 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM.. At that speed it costs me less than $20 bucks a month. And, it is so quiet, that you almost have to touch it to make sure it is still running.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: mknauss
Just finished our pool in North Las Vegas. 9k gallons, no heater, solar loop, all pentair equipment, small raised beam with water feature, 2 pentair color changing lights with a globrite on the tanning ledge. Mid 40k, but I talked to the designer when we finished, and he said it would be 7k more now.258D7D21-4C69-49F1-8745-C125572565B3.jpeg

Just finished our pool in North Las Vegas. 9k gallons, no heater, solar loop, all pentair equipment, small raised beam with water feature, 2 pentair color changing lights with a globrite on the tanning ledge. Mid 40k, but I talked to the designer when we finished, and he said it would be 7k more now.View attachment 376490
So, different design, but roughly the same size. If I take your estimated price and add on the additional things like the heater and bigger water feature I'm at mid $60k's which is where we expected to be. Only the low estimate is in that range though.

Just finished our pool in North Las Vegas. 9k gallons, no heater, solar loop, all pentair equipment, small raised beam with water feature, 2 pentair color changing lights with a globrite on the tanning ledge. Mid 40k, but I talked to the designer when we finished, and he said it would be 7k more now.View attachment 376490

Would you mind sharing who your plaster, tile, and decking contractors were and if you would recommend them? We are in the middle of our build in Henderson and struggling in deciding who to go with for those phases. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.