Gold Supporter
Jun 9, 2018
Walton, KY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Can I trust PH results if my R-0014 expired 4/20?
Result was 7.2-7.5 using the Taylor K-1000 block that came in my TF-100.

I just opened the pool and need to SLAM but want to make sure my PH is good before I start.

I searched the site and saw info for other expired reagents but R-0014 wasn’t listed. The color of mine is still red, not purple.
D4DA8DEF-DAD7-4A11-9633-0ADE45911CD9.jpeg

Three years is a long time for any reagent, even if it was stored in a cool/dry place. I would recommend a new bottle. If you don't have time to wait on a shipment, you should be able to get a bottle locally.
Ok, that’s what I figured but was hoping it was one of those iron clad reagents that last years. I do keep it stored in the TF-100 kit in my cool, dark basement. But 3 years is in fact well past expired 😂. I’ll head to Walmart or Menards and hopefully they have a new test block. Doubtful they will have separate reagent bottles. Thank you for your help and quick response!

Reactions: Texas Splash
What is your TA? Be careful on the cheap kits. Those are rarely accurate if TC is above 3 ppm.

What is your TA? Be careful on the cheap kits. Those are rarely accurate if TC is above 3 ppm.
TA is 50
My TC this morning was 9.5 but I expect that to drop quickly with the sun because I just now hung the sock with the granulated stabilizer in it (my CYA was zero).

I’ll look for the same Taylor kit that came with my TF-100. I do have a couple pool stores locally that would surely have one but I just hate to give them business if I can avoid it!

Just be sure to get R0014. Many sell the R0004 - that one is not used with the comparator in the TF100.

Your pH is not out of line with a TA of 50. So up to you if you want to scramble or just get a refill from TFTestkits.

Just be sure to get R0014. Many sell the R0004 - that one is not used with the comparator in the TF100.

Your pH is not out of line with a TA of 50. So up to you if you want to scramble or just get a refill from TFTestkits.
So you’re saying, based on my TA, my PH is fine and I can proceed to SLAM and just order the R-0014? Just need to finish deploying the CYA.

So you’re saying, based on my TA, my PH is fine and I can proceed to SLAM and just order the R-0014? Just need to finish deploying the CYA.
I would. The pH is not too low, or you would not have TA. And high is not a big deal, and also not too likely with that TA.

I would. The pH is not too low, or you would not have TA. And high is not a big deal, and also not too likely with that TA.
Thank you! You saved me a trip out 👍🏻. One final question… I purchased my TF-100 in 2018. Are there any other reagents that I should replace by now? Some used frequently I have already had to replenish. But I rarely use the TA or CH tests so those are original from 2018.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you! You saved me a trip out 👍🏻. One final question… I purchased my TF-100 in 2018. Are there any other reagents that I should replace by now? Some used frequently I have already had to replenish. But I rarely use the TA or CH tests so those are original from 2018.
Most are good for 2 years so it’s time to replace them. Cya reagent lasts quite sometime beyond that with proper storage (dark cool place).
If you’re slamming you may want to go ahead & get the fas/dpd ones xl version so you don’t run out.

Reactions: AveMaria472
😂 so can I trust my TA is actually 50 then? 😂
Likely. It would be off (typically 0) if something was really bad. Best to take the guess work out and get reagents every couple years. If you hit the Spring Sale, it is around $45 for a complete set.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.