Expansion Plug Removal

MelShep

May 9, 2022
Southern Virginia
Hello all: I am fairly new to maintaining an inground pool. We had someone close our pool at the end of the last season and in the middle of re-opening, the pool guy has become indisposed. I am trying to get it open myself and it appears all but one plug has been removed. The remaining plug is in the skimmer and is a rubberized expansion plug ( I don't know why he didn't use the gizmos I had but I am certainly not an expert). From what I can tell, he left or placed a chlorine tablet in the skimmer and perhaps the plastic wing nut on the plug has disintegrated. It feels very flimsy and I can't get a grip on it. Any tips for removing this plug? I don't want to damage anything trying to yank it out.

You can try to get the wing nut as lose as you can, then grab the stem (threaded part) with pliers and gently rock it back and forth while pulling upward.
I would take the tablet out of the skimmer, if thats what your using it still should be in a floater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.