Expansion gap or a problem?

poolinseattle

May 14, 2024
Seattle, WA
Hi, I’m a new pool owner (bought an house with a pool) and wondering if the approximately finger width gap between the pool tile and the pool decking is a problem?

It looks like it runs all around the pool with varying widths. If this is a problem, I’m not sure if I need to call a pool decking company to help fix or if this is something I can fix myself with some caulking???

The pool was built in the late 70s and is about 20k gallons.

I’ve attached some pics of the issue. IMG_3336.jpeg

Any help appreciated! Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_3338.jpeg
    IMG_3338.jpeg
    799.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3337.jpeg
    IMG_3337.jpeg
    352.6 KB · Views: 7
Hi, I’m a new pool owner (bought an house with a pool) and wondering if the approximately finger width gap between the pool tile and the pool decking is a problem?

It looks like it runs all around the pool with varying widths. If this is a problem, I’m not sure if I need to call a pool decking company to help fix or if this is something I can fix myself with some caulking???

The pool was built in the late 70s and is about 20k gallons.

I’ve attached some pics of the issue. View attachment 572988

Any help appreciated! Thank you.
Its likely that the opposite side of the decking has sunk a bit which opens up a gap there. You can get a slab-jacking to raise it back up or lift it with a jack and backfill it. But like said, dont let much water get in the joint.

Last edited:
Reactions: poolinseattle
thanks! It does look like the slab sunk and opened up that gap. I’ll take a look at slab jacking to correct that.

Is it worth trying to DIY and fill in with some closed foam then caulk the gap or is this more of a professionals only project?

We are also looking into new decking, but hoping to wait 1-2 years for that project. So hoping to find an inexpensive fix that can last that long.

Last edited: