Exercise Equipment for Pools

schwimmen

Bronze Supporter
Jan 30, 2017
Houston TX
Greetings, all.

I would really like to get some feedback on people's experience with exercise-related options for pools.

We want to install a pool that is approximately 13' x 26' (give or take) and are looking at both fiberglass and gunite. While we like the idea of having a pool to relax and play in, I'm prioritizing features that will allow my husband and I to use it for different types of exercise. Here are some of the questions that I have, but please feel free to chime in if there are other issues/options that we should consider.

Running - The ability to run in the water with a flotation belt is a must, so depth is important. Being on the tall side, this potentially rules out a number of fiberglass options that we've been looking at. I'm afraid that most of them just aren't deep enough in the size that we're looking for. I've heard that the water depth should be no more than six inches less than your height if you want to run with a belt. Does that seem right? Most of the pools I've run in were diving wells, so this was never an issue before.

Swimming - We don't have enough space for a true lap pool, so we're looking at swimming tethers and current generators. The tethers are a whole lot cheaper though! Do they work well? And for those who've tested and or installed current generators, what do you think of them? Are they worth the money? Are there certain types that are better for certain activities? Were you able to integrate them into the pool? Any implications for energy use, pumps, etc?

Kayaking - Part of the reason we're even considering a current generator is that I'd also really like to use it for kayaking. I tried kayaking last summer and loved it. It would be great to be able to practice in the pool. Anyone have any luck doing this with a current generator or tether system?

Biking - Chances are I'll stick to biking on land, but I thought I'd check out the pool bikes while I'm researching options. In addition to being a bit pricey, my concern is that they might not do so well on a sloped bottom, or that they might damage the surface. Anyone have any experience with this?

Much thanks for any input!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.