Excess water surface debris

gjpe

Jul 26, 2012
Thanks in advance for any ideas!

5 year old Fiberglass SWG pool(approx 15k gallons) with sand filter and all pentair components. Last year replaced pump with variable speed pump. Automatic cover so pool stays covered when not in use.

This year I have noticed the pool is more dirty. Water tested at local pool store multiple times and everything is in balance. When I say dirty I do not mean cloudy. It is very clear. Just lots more bugs and twigs on the surface and at the bottom of the pool. We do not live in an area with many trees. Have not noticed this much surface debris in the past. Skimmer is almost always empty.

We have two main drains in the side of the pool and three return jets. The jest appear to be pushing the water at normal pressure. The drains, when I try to feel for suction seem very weak. This is with the pump at the highest setting.

Is it possible my sand filter needs replaced? To be honest I have not been the best at backwashing over the last few years.

Any other possible issues I should be looking at?

Thanks again!

A bit hard to tell what's happening, so we'll need to ask you a few questions:
1 - Which test kit do you is and can you post a full set of water results?
2 - When was the last time your sand was deep cleaned? Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
3 - What does your filter gauge (PSI) read on low, high, and off?
4 - How do you chlorinate your water?
5 - With cover off, have you tried dropping some ping pong balls on the water and watching your pool circulation?

With more info we might be able to put a good picture together. Also, don't forget to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. :wink:

Thanks for the questions!

I don’t use a test kit. I know. Flame away. I get it.

I have never deep cleaned so I will check out that link, thanks.

We have a SWG for chlorine. Will need to do the ping pong ball test!

I really suspect my sand filter at this point.

Thanks!,

Oh yeah..filter sand gauge reads high. But always has. In fact when I backwash, the little eyeball leaks water like crazy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.