Equipment Pad Ideas for SWG Install

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
I ordered the CircuPool RJ60+ SWG from them on June 27. The item arrived yesterday and I finally got around to unboxing it today. Unfortunately the unit comes with a 14-foot cord from the control unit to the salt cell, but only a 4 foot power cable. I mistakenly thought that all the cords that shipped with the unit would be similar length. The condition of the packaging (including already cut packing tape), the condition of the unit itself, and the short power cord led me to think this was an open box item and the previous owner had cut the cord.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out and measured the power cord on my unit, as I have not cut mine down. Mine is about 48" too. With the tag about 2" from the end of the black sheath before three individual wires. Your power cord does not look to be cut short, to me. (unless mine was previously used and was cut to the same length.)

Still have my box, I can check how that was taped but have to dig it out of the garage attic. But your inner box does look to have been opened, and the twist on the wires could indicate prior use too.

Disclaimer - not trying to disprove it was a prior open box. Only that it appears the factory power cord length could be about 48".

It could have been opened, tested and resealed at the factory as a quality control measure by an employee who didn’t care to bother much about repackaging it perfectly.

regardless of the hows and the whys, I am sorry you did not have a good experience. Once you have the bad taste in your mouth it is hard to overcome even if there is an ok reason for it all.

If the power cord is supposed to be only 4 feet from CircuPool, my beef is with them and not with discountsaltpool. I don't want to have to install a weatherproof junction box in addition to mounting the control unit. 4 feet isn't even enough to run the power down the conduit from the timer and back up to the control unit, never mind any lateral distance.

Is there any warranty problem opening the control unit to wire a longer cord? I don't want to open an avenue for CircuPool to void the warranty for "incorrect wiring" or using "wrong" wire, or something to that effect.

When I got my RJ-30+ I posted a picture of the box here and you can see the large quantity of tape at the top.

In that same post I also mentioned that the cord seemed pretty short (although I measured it at 52”, but I probably measured to the tips of the stripped wires)

All that said, whether you have a new unit or a return it certainly sounds like your call could have been handled better.

My Edge had a short power cord which I thought was bad also.

If it's been opened they should offer a discount or ship you a new one..Where cust service can save a customer
" Oh I am sorry, it was opened a tested and to help you will will extend the warranty another year for free"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't mind the open box so much if everything is unused and as it should be. I'm worried about how to wire a longer power cord without exposing myself to potential warranty issues. Is it just standard connectors inside (like screw terminals, or terminal connectors, or something)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, screw terminals inside the unit. Page 18 of the owners manual (at least mine) has the directions for changing the voltage with the supplied jumpers.

Shouldn't be an issue, or open you to a warranty issue. Keep the cord and if you do have issue where you have to send back for warranty put the old cord back in, and wire for 120. Say you use it on 120, then you have a valid reason for opening the unit.

I am not an electrician but play one at home :) You could run the short wire to a sealed electrical box and wirenut it to a longet piece.
I added a plug to mine for 120 but had to change where I wanted to mount the control unit.

It's worse than I had hoped inside the unit. Each of the three wires uses a different type of connector. I'm thinking of just connecting another cable with wire nuts inside the control unit, using it as the junction box. Otherwise I have to find all the right size connectors in stock somewhere. Either way I have to find a cable of a diameter that matches the grommet at the bottom (or another grommet that fits the wire and opening). This seems like a lot of project that could have been avoided by a longer cord.

Your pictures of the RJ60+ you received from Circupool / Discount Salt , looks exactly like the unit I received a few months ago .
My power cord was also approx 48" long and had the ends of the wires bare stripped , ready for connections (that is how a lot of hard wired electronics are shipped) . Nothing looks out of the ordinary to me, and the unit appears to be brand new . Maybe some sloppy box tape job(ours was too) , but other than that , everything looks fine to me. Maybe there customer service is not as great as it should be, but with all things considered , the way things are going right now , a lot of companies are having a hard time "keeping up" . Also, it was a holiday weekend .

Perhaps you might consider changing the title of this thread, so as not to throw readers off .
Edit : I see that the title was now changed by a mod .

Last edited:
I believe my cable is also about 48". I attached a plug to the end of mine for a nearby outlet (see link below with pics). Certainly lots of extra cell cord that I have wrapped-up. I opened my unit to insert the jumpers for 120V. I will say that my shipment was missing one of the O-rings for the cell, so that delayed my install by a couple days. I called them and they expedited new O-rings and a package of salt test strips really fast. I was impressed actually. Shame you had such a frustrating experience the past few days. The holiday weekend probably didn't help. Hopefully they will make it right for you.

Are you going to run it on 110V or 220V? If 110V put a plug on it and use a waterproof box and cover and if less than 6' more is needed use a flexible conduit (plug in, close the cover). Done. If you run 220V there is really no standard plug for this, and this is why you get the pigtail cord. It's supposed to go on the wall with the pool equipment and that is why the cord supplied is short.

The 14' to the cell is so you can mount it by the pump and electrical box but have enough cord to reach the cell. It's the way all of these units are, unfortunately. Circupool and I assume DSP offers the option to have a plug put on at the factory for 110V use.....

If you run 220, use a waterproof box put use wire nuts internally to hook it up and use a blank panel. It's fine that way too. I actually am surprised that there is a pigtail at all. Usually when you get something like this, you get a conduit punch out and a terminal block internally.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.