Equipment Bonding

Sep 4, 2013
I replaced my booster pump and in doing so, I broke off the bonding screw in the main pump. Since my main pump is around the side of my house not in sight of my pool, about 20 feet from the pool, do I need to have the pump bonded with the other equipment or at all?

It probably should, you could probably attach a new lug, or you could just say “eh, when it rusts I’ll buy a new one”.

I am far from any authority on this though.

Your pump motor is connected to electricity there is a metal shaft from the motor that runs right into the water circulating in your pool. Line of sight and distance aside that metal shaft in contact with your pool water can and will put potentially deadly voltage and current into your pool water.

The bonding loop in your pool prevents there being a voltage difference between all the elements in and around your pool. Without a voltage difference there can be no flow of current which keeps adults and kids from getting hurt.

TLDR : connect the bonding wire so nobody gets hurt by accident.

Your pump motor is connected to electricity there is a metal shaft from the motor that runs right into the water circulating in your pool. Line of sight and distance aside that metal shaft in contact with your pool water can and will put potentially deadly voltage and current into your pool water.

The bonding loop in your pool prevents there being a voltage difference between all the elements in and around your pool. Without a voltage difference there can be no flow of current which keeps adults and kids from getting hurt.

TLDR : connect the bonding wire so nobody gets hurt by accident.
Agreed!

Why do people want to short cut with safety? Seriously, how hard is it to replace the lug... Wow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.