Jun 10, 2019
New England
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,

I have what appears to be an equalizer port and I am just trying to figure out more about its purpose and if it should be open or closed during normal use (we have always kept it closed). We do not have a main drain if that makes a difference.

From my googling, it appears it helps the skimmer not suck in air if the water level drops too low, is that correct?

IMG_20200526_110449.jpg

Thanks

K,

Yep, not sure how yours works, but on mine, you need to have floating diverter under the basket to make them work..

I have no diverters, and have no intention of adding them.. So basically, I have not used the equalizers since the pool was built about 6 years ago.

So I see no reason you can't just leave yours off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
If the skimmer basket got so clogged that no water could pass through, it would allow it to draw water from that port in the wall. For protection against low water, it needs a diverter valve inside. Sort of a flying saucer looking thing. If you have an autofill, that shouldn't be a worry. Here's how it works. In your case, replace "main drain" with "equalizer"
divertervalve-gif.139429

Pool is from 1977 and I don't have auto fill. I do have the diverter plate, but it looks like it could only swing around and cover the "to pump" port. I don't have a float or anything else of the sort. I will try to get a picture next time I turn the pump off. Seems my skimmer is missing some parts. I believe its a Hayward SP-1082 or SP-1084.

Pool is from 1977 and I don't have auto fill. I do have the diverter plate, but it looks like it could only swing around and cover the "to pump" port. I don't have a float or anything else of the sort. I will try to get a picture next time I turn the pump off. Seems my skimmer is missing some parts. I believe its a Hayward SP-1082 or SP-1084.
If that plate is secured to the floor of the skimmer and not a lift-out piece, its to close off the equalizer port so you can vacuum using a vacuum plate. It's kinda handy instead of shoving the hose into the suction port, because you can vacuum with the basket in place and catch a bunch of stiff early.

If that plate is secured to the floor of the skimmer and not a lift-out piece, its to close off the equalizer port so you can vacuum using a vacuum plate. It's kinda handy instead of shoving the hose into the suction port, because you can vacuum with the basket in place and catch a bunch of stiff early.

Yes, its secured to the floor of the skimmer, but it only swings to cover the pump suction. not the hole for the equalizer port, so maybe its just if I wanted to adjust the flow rate?

Seems I could still use a vacuum plate since the equalizer port is plugged on the pool side right? It would be nice to not have to shut the pump off to empty the pump strainer while vacuuming.

Yes, its secured to the floor of the skimmer, but it only swings to cover the pump suction. not the hole for the equalizer port, so maybe its just if I wanted to adjust the flow rate?

Seems I could still use a vacuum plate since the equalizer port is plugged on the pool side right? It would be nice to not have to shut the pump off to empty the pump strainer while vacuuming.
If the equalizer is blocked off, then yes. Otherwise it's easier to draw water from the equalizer than through the length of the vacuum hose.

Follow up question - I got the skimvac plate (SP1106) that is listed for my skimmer (SP1084) but I am having trouble getting it to work with my vacuum (Hayward PoolVac XL). It seems the port to connect the hose on both the skimmer plate and the vac are the same size so I am unable to connect my vacuum hose to them both at the same time since one end of my vacuum hose is the same size as the ports on both. Is there some hose adapter I can buy that would make this work?

These are the hose sections I have. The darker gray fitting can go on either the vac or the vac plate, but the rest of the fittings are the same size as the vac and vac plate.

61PKrmhbJ1L._AC_SL1260_.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's the end like you see on the far left in your picture. Google it. Vacuum hose collar

I see - so you are saying I should remove one of the non-fitting collars on the other hose lengths and replace it with a replacement vacuum hose collar? I wasn't aware the collars even came off but I'll check that out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.