Enzymes?

RexO

May 24, 2020
Melbourne, FL
I know the TFP way is to use only the chems needed. But, do regular enzyme treatments like Orenda CV-600 do any harm? The argument for enzymes is that it breaks down non-living organics and oils taking the oxidation load off the chlorine, making it easier for FC to do the sanitation. I understand that you can boost chlorine levels to handle the extra load when needed. Just wondering is an enzyme product harmful to pool balance in any way? Or, just an unnecessary expense in the opinion of the TFP experts. I look forward to any comments.

For sure, not cheaper than chlorine. I have a SWG. The chlorine demand changes so much in Florida, day to day, it is not so easy to find the sweet spot. Once found, the weather changes. But, I test FC and CC daily so can make the adjustments. Going on vacation for a week soon. Neighbor kids will be swimming regularly in the pool and I will teach my friend (their Dad) to test. But, I don't expect him to test more than twice during the week. Think I will set the SWG to make sure FC stay at or above target. But, it might climb a bit if we have some cloudy days. Or go a little low if it is blazing hot without any cloud cover. This is the situation I was thinking of using an enzyme. A little extra protection.

Is it (enzyme) cheaper than chlorine? Or running a SWG?
Going on vacation for a week soon. ....... This is the situation I was thinking of using an enzyme. A little extra protection.
It doesn't matter if enzymes are cheaper than chlorine. Enzymes are NOT a substitute for chlorine, so it become a moot point. If anything, the moment you buy an enzyme, your costs are more than chlorine alone.

You have a SWG, let it do it's job. If your neighbor is doing some testing and FC is low, have them add some liquid chlorine/bleach. If the FC level is higher than expected, then no big deal. the water is safe to swim in up to SLAM level FC. If your OCD insists on extra protection, use a Polyquat 60 algaecide. Nothing else!

Last edited:
Reactions: RexO
Just how high do you think your oxidation load is? People tend to vastly overestimate their oxidation and sanitation loads, which is why they buy in to supplemental systems pushed on them. In reality the load in a residential pool is extremely low, even if used every day. Following the FC/CYA Levels is more than enough to properly handle the sanitation and oxidation of a residential pool. There's no benefit to using some enzyme treatment that only helps break down one or two specific things that may or may not even be present in your own pool.

Reactions: mguzzy and RexO
If you are going away for a week buy a floater and throw some pucks in. They will help manage your pH. Its summer in Florida so your CYA is degrading and being splashed out by the rains we are getting.

I use pucks as insurance for my SWG while I am away.

Also if your SWG needs are changing daily, I suspect that your CYA is low anyway and what you are seeing is more burn off on sunny days than cloudy.

Reactions: RexO and Richard320
If you are going away for a week buy a floater and throw some pucks in. They will help manage your pH. Its summer in Florida so your CYA is degrading and being splashed out by the rains we are getting.

I use pucks as insurance for my SWG while I am away.

Also if your SWG needs are changing daily, I suspect that your CYA is low anyway and what you are seeing is more burn off on sunny days than cloudy.
I just added some CYA to make sure it is 70-80. It had slipped down to 50 after heavy rain and some draining. I will make sure the SWG is running a bit longer during the hot day to keep up the Chlorine. PH has been relatively stable as the pool is breaking in (4 months) and using TFP methodology. I figure my buddy might need to add 1 cup of acid or so mid-week. Maybe some baking soda if there is a lot of rain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.