simerese

Aug 13, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Hello - I'm not only brand new to this forum, but I am also a brand new pool owner. About a week and a half ago I had an 18' round 52" high pool with sand filter installed. The place I bought the pool from taught me next to nothing about maintaining a pool. Same with the installers. With my pool I received a box of the Enjoy brand pool system. From what I understand all you do it put these puck-looking things into the skimmer, wait for them to dissolve, then dump in a bag of the Enjoy chemicals on the water surface with the filter running. Then once a week for a month you pour in another bag. Then repeat the cycle the following month. I'm looking for anyone that uses this system and what they might know about it......how it works for them, etc. It's very hard to find any info about this product online. But from what I gather the whole point of this chemical system is that you don't really have to add anything else to the pool. Just test your pH levels weekly and possibly shock it once in a while? I'm not 100% sure. If that IS the case that would be perfect for a first time pool owner like me who is a little overwhelmed trying to learn everything all at once. I'm still watching videos online about how/when to backwash, how/when to vacuum, etc. Are there any other Enjoy users out there?? Thanks very much in advance!

I'm sorry..... don't want to alarm you.... many of these *sytems* are expensive and some trap you in to continuing their use because changing is difficult.
The pucks you have a either silver or metal= nothing we suggest adding to a pool.
The way Enjoy says you'll be "minimizing" chlorine means you're either using a problematic chemical that still needs chlorine to "reactivate it" such as Bromide. Very hard to test for and care for a Bromide pool.

Here at TFP we're all about using the best product which protects you from bacteria and virus, fungus, algae and all at the least cost. We believe in using Chlorine. Its the best sanitizer on the market.

Do you see any ingredient panels on the Enjoy products you could share with me?

And by the way= WELCOME TO TFP!! WE TEACH FOLKS HOW TO MANAGE THEIR POOL AND WATER IN THE EASIEST WAYS. :WAVE:

MADDIE

Trying to find the SDS on this product is *not* easy! Let me call in a chemistry guru for his interpretation- @JoyfulNoise

Using the PoolMath program I see that your pool is aprox 7600 gallons. Do you have a skimmer?

Brushing the pool at least weekly is a good plan because it gets any developing algae disrupted and into circulation. Algae can form a biofilm on top of it to hide under- so brushing breaks that biofilm up.

You'll want to take note of the pressure on your new filter as that is what we call the "Clean Pressure". Then when your pressure rises 20-25% over clean pressure you'll know its time to backwash.

Good reading for new pool owners--> ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Levels

Here is some of the only info I can find on it. Also, attached is a pic of the ingredients from the box (not much to go off of). I can't beleive they recommend something like this to someone who has never owned a pool and doesn't know any better.

Attachments

• 20200814_180313.jpg
    20200814_180313.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 25
That is dichlor. There must be Copper Sulfate, I suspect, in one of the additives.

I echo Maddie, get a proper kit, follow TFPC. It will be magnitudes cheaper and you will not be swimming in a metal laden chemical stew.

I would say yes. You need a test kit to see what you have in the water.
I suggest the TF100. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would say yes. You need a test kit to see what you have in the water.
I suggest the TF100. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.
I have one of these already. Would this work?

The issue is you cannot test CYA level and you cannot test FC above 5 ppm.

If you plan to keep this pool, I suggest you get a proper test kit. But up to you. You will drain water down in a couple months to winterize so if you want to stay with what you are doing and then drain it down and start fresh next spring, that is an option.

The issue is you cannot test CYA level and you cannot test FC above 5 ppm.

If you plan to keep this pool, I suggest you get a proper test kit. But up to you. You will drain water down in a couple months to winterize so if you want to stay with what you are doing and then drain it down and start fresh next spring, that is an option.
Yeah I suppose that is an option as we'll probably be closing the pool at the end of September. In your opinion if I continue to use this system until we close am I safe in starting a normal chlorine system next year?

Sure. If you have any one with blond hair, it may turn green by then. Also the low chlorine levels are not great for a sanitary pool. But if it is just your family using the pool, you should be OK>

Sure. If you have any one with blond hair, it may turn green by then. Also the low chlorine levels are not great for a sanitary pool. But if it is just your family using the pool, you should be OK>
Luckily we're all dark haired. As far as the low level of chlorine can I shock it maybe once a week or so? By the way, thank you so much for your help. It really seems like once they sell you the pool they don't really want to answer any of your questions.

The dichlor is doing that. Though it is adding CYA too.

With your test kit, be sure the Chlorine test is always very yellow. Your FC will then be well above 3 ppm. Might not be great, but at least better than the 0.5 the company claims is all you need.
Use liquid chlorine if you feel you need to add more chlorine.

The dichlor is doing that. Though it is adding CYA too.

With your test kit, be sure the Chlorine test is always very yellow. Your FC will then be well above 3 ppm. Might not be great, but at least better than the 0.5 the company claims is all you need.
Use liquid chlorine if you feel you need to add more chlorine.
Sounds like a plan. Will I have to completely replace the water in the pool or change the sand in the filter next spring?

I suspect you will drain down some amount when you close. Then rain/snow will fill it up. It would be prudent to order your test kit in March next year so when you open, you can test the water chemistry and see what might need to be adjusted.

The sand will be fine. I suspect you are adding a clarifier in that mix (as that is probably the only way you can have a sort of clear pool water). If you regularly back wash your sand you should be OK.

I concur with everything Marty has said. I think the copper is coming from those pucks.

Pool stores sell chemicals......they don't really encourage folks to learn about chemistry and what they should and should not add to the water. Those "free" water tests they offer always seem to find a problem needing you to buy x, y or z chemical potion to fix.

We believe in owners understanding what they're putting in the water and what response to expect, then testing to confirm it.

We'll help you and I suspect you'll save oodles of cash and have a sparkling clear pool with the minimum of effort *our* way.

Finish the season with that product they sold you and spend the off season reading up on our Forums.

Maddie

I concur with everything Marty has said. I think the copper is coming from those pucks.

Pool stores sell chemicals......they don't really encourage folks to learn about chemistry and what they should and should not add to the water. Those "free" water tests they offer always seem to find a problem needing you to buy x, y or z chemical potion to fix.

We believe in owners understanding what they're putting in the water and what response to expect, then testing to confirm it.

We'll help you and I suspect you'll save oodles of cash and have a sparkling clear pool with the minimum of effort *our* way.

Finish the season with that product they sold you and spend the off season reading up on our Forums.

Maddie
I think that's just what I'll do. Thanks so much for the insight guys

Reactions: mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.