Energy Star Pool Pump Rebate

Dalandlord

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2011
Hi Guys,

I currently have an old 1.5HP Challenger Pump that is drawing 8.4A @ 240v. I typically run it 6 hours a day, 3 in the morning and 3 n the evening, and it has no trouble keeping the pool clean at that run time. If my math is correct that is 2016 Watts and my electricity is rate is about .15 a KWH. I figured that to about $1.81 per day and $662.26 per year. First does the math sound right?

Second I will call to verify it but as best I can tell there is currently a $250 rebate to install an Energy Star pump motor. I am not sure which ones are energy star, but I was wondering is there are any pumps you think I should look toward or stay away from. If cost is not really prohibitive I would like to go as efficient as feasible.

Any ideas greatly appreciated

Thanks

Also read and understand the terms of those rebates. Usually they require you to purchase a specific model of pump and have it professionally installed.

Also read and understand the terms of those rebates. Usually they require you to purchase a specific model of pump and have it professionally installed.

I certainly will. I was searching and couldn't find that info. I know at one time they had a list and it was a little outdated but in searching this morning I could only find where it said "Energy Star."

By "professionally installed" do they usually mean a license electrician is good? Or do they want a plumber and an electrician, or a pool dealer? I give more than my share of work to the plumbers and electricians, so I can make that happen no problem. If it has to be a pool dealer, I may not even bother unless one of them quotes under $250.

Any specific model or size recommendation is appreciated. I see some are 3HP and as far as I can tell the 1.5HP is more than I need. I just bought a Dolphin M500 pool cleaner and was happy to get rid or the booster pump as well. It's a bit larger and heavier than I expected when Margret talked me into that type but The Beast will climb anything.

da,

VS pumps basically come in 1.5 HP models and have 1.5" plumbing, or 3 HP models that have 2" plumbing. In general, you can't have too big of a VS pump so don't discard the larger pump just because of the HP.

Two great pumps are the Pentair SuperFlo VS (1.5 HP) and the Pentair IntelliFlo VS (3.0 HP)..

As a reference, I can run my Intelliflo at 24/7 for less than $20 bucks a month.

When it comes to rebates, professionally installed usually means by one of the power company's "approved" installers.. I suggest you call and talk directly with your power company and get the facts straight from the horse's mouth..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

da,

VS pumps basically come in 1.5 HP models and have 1.5" plumbing, or 3 HP models that have 2" plumbing. In general, you can't have too big of a VS pump so don't discard the larger pump just because of the HP.

Two great pumps are the Pentair SuperFlo VS (1.5 HP) and the Pentair IntelliFlo VS (3.0 HP)..

As a reference, I can run my Intelliflo at 24/7 for less than $20 bucks a month.

When it comes to rebates, professionally installed usually means by one of the power company's "approved" installers.. I suggest you call and talk directly with your power company and get the facts straight from the horse's mouth..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jim, do you know your cost per KWH? What speed do you run your pump and how many hours a day does it run?

Where I live a list of the companies approved installers usually means someone brother-in-law gets the gig and he won't be cheap!

If I remember right I have three 1 1/2" returns that I have hooked to a 2" return line where they come out the ground. Is there any advantage to spending an extra $255 for the 2" plumbing on the 3hp that, unless I'm missing something" I will probably never use?

Thanks for the Reply Bud

Jim, do you know your cost per KWH? What speed do you run your pump and how many hours a day does it run?

Where I live a list of the companies approved installers usually means someone brother in las gets the gig and he won't be cheap!

If I remember right I have three 1 1/2" returns that I have hooked to a 2" return line where they come out the ground. Is there any advantage to spending an extra $255 for the 2" plumbing on the 3hp that, unless I'm missing something" I will probably never use?

Thanks for the Reply Bud

I suspect you will be fine with any "professional" installer meaning anyone that regularly does it for a living and supplies you with a receipt. I used a description and model of the pump with my cost on my pool builder's letterhead. The pump itself is what you need to make sure is on the utilities list.

Jim, do you know your cost per KWH? What speed do you run your pump and how many hours a day does it run? Thanks for the Reply Bud

Bud,

I think my power cost .10 per KWH, plus all the fees and etc., so it ends up being about .15... I run my pump 24/7, most of the time at 1200 RPM, but it ramps up to 1500 a few times a day. At 1200 RPM the pump uses only 175 watts... My point was not that you should run your pump 24/7, but that even running 24/7 my pump costs very little to run. My cost is probably closer to $10 bucks a month, but I use $20 as an example because of the varying electrical rates depending on where you live.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Bud,

I think my power cost .10 per KWH, plus all the fees and etc., so it ends up being about .15... I run my pump 24/7, most of the time at 1200 RPM, but it ramps up to 1500 a few times a day. At 1200 RPM the pump uses only 175 watts... My point was not that you should run your pump 24/7, but that even running 24/7 my pump costs very little to run. My cost is probably closer to $10 bucks a month, but I use $20 as an example because of the varying electrical rates depending on where you live.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I was just asking to get a reference point. Your total cost per KWH is about the same as mine. At 175 watts even if I ran it 24hrs a day I would cut my usage by 2/3 and if I only ran it 12 hours I cut my cost by 5/6. Do you have the 3hp vs or 1.5 vs? Would you happen to know how much water you flowing @1200 RPM?

I am guessing I can find the flow rates and energy usage on the manufacture's website.

Thanks
Again

Bud,

I have the 3 HP IntelliFlo and could not care less what the flow rate is.. All I need it to do is close the flow switch on my SWCG.. It does that at 1100 RPM so I run it at 1200.

If you are trying to calculate "turnovers" they are a myth... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.