Electrical experts. How to wire my pump to stay on?

Jul 3, 2018
East Selkirk, MB
I have an Intex model 8111 unit for my 15' above ground pool. It's the filter, pump and salt water generator in one. For my size of pool you set the timer for the SWG to 3 hours per day. That's the only time the filter pump will stay on is the 3 hours. Otherwise it is not running for 21 hours per day. I think the pool would be better and cleaner if it ran 24/7, would it not? How do I rewire the pump so it stays on when the SWG stops after 3 hours? I know it can be done as I found some info on it. Attached is a screen shot of the write up I found and pictures of my pump. I can't exactly figure out what I need to do. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1425.PNG
    IMG_1425.PNG
    201.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1435.jpg
    IMG_1435.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1436.jpg
    IMG_1436.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1437.jpg
    IMG_1437.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1438.jpg
    IMG_1438.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1439.jpg
    IMG_1439.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 11
You won't need 24/7 filtration. If you follow TFP methods your water will be clear without running the pump so much.

Study Pool School, get a good test kit, and perfect your pool chemistry. Then your pool will be clear except for blown in debris.

This is my second summer with the pool. Exact same setup. I had no major issues last year only filtering 3 hours per day. I was actually very impressed on how easy the salt system is to use. I had clear water all summer but alot of debris on the bottom I had to vacuum once a week.

I just assumed it would be better to filter 24/7. I get a lot of debris blown in from trees.

If 3 hours a day of filtration is sufficient I can live with that. What happens if I want to add a solar heater? The biggest issue with my pool is it's always freezing. I have a solar cover but no heater. With a solar heater I would need to circulate the water all day.

Jump the switch / timer to provide a constant source of voltage to the coil side of your relay/contactor. Then use an inline (such as an exterior lamp timer) to turn off / on the pump. If you cannot look at the set up and tell how to do this, you will need some help. Since it's portable, take it to an electric motor shop or electrician. It's not hard but it needs to be right if you do it.

According to the Intex manual, you should be able to run the pump without the salt...
View attachment 104967

This manual looks like the setup you have, unless I am misinterpreting what you want to do...
http://www.intexcorp.nl/proifv/proifv_dl_loadblob?EMTKEY=20401

I have an Intex sand filter pump setup that I used on my soft side easy set, and I could override the timer with the on/off switch.

Mines not exactly the same as that. Mine is model 8111. I can override the timer with the on/off switch to keep just the pump on temporary for the day. But I have to set the timer every day to activate the salt. I was hoping to keep the timer going for the salt and the pump runs 24/7. So I can basically just set the timer at the beginning of the summer for 3 hours (for the salt) and rewire the pump to stay on 24/7 and it operates all summer like that. Then my skimmer attachment and filter will keep the pool cleaner from debris off my trees and dusty gravel road. Plus I want to get a solar panel and need to circulate the water for that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.