Electrical box config

pagreenpool

May 22, 2017
Allentown, PA
I am doing a pool renovation and am updating the electrical box

I am going to remove the two timers in my box - don't really use them for anything. The new pump I got is a black and decker and has a controller attached to it. Don't really see the need for the timers in here.... thoughts?

I have 30 amps going in to the box. Old config was a 20 amp dual pole breaker supplying the pump and the LP heater, which seemed to work fine. There was another 20 amp breaker that supplied a receptacle on the side on the electrical box (a GFCI), then the pool lights.

I am adding a SWG and outlet at a gazebo to the mix, wondering if anyone has thoughts?

I was thinking 20 amp dual pole (240V) runs the Pump and SWG. My pump claims 8 amps (Black and Decker 2hp - BDXBTVAR200). My SWG is a Hayward W3AQR15, I can't really figure out how many amps it draws but I saw somewhere around 8amps. So 8+8 = 16, still have the 20% buffer on that breaker.

I was also going to leave the pool lights on the GFCI outlet (obviously the lights need a GFCI). The lights are LED and are very low, I think less than an amp each (have two)

Then the only things left are the LP heater (presume a very low draw) and the outlet at the gazebo. Don't see any super high draw items on that - possibly a TV/ceiling fan/LED lights. Both the heater and gazebo outlet are 12 gauge wire. Any real advantage to using a separate breaker for both of these? My initial thought was add a new GFCI breaker and putting the heater and gazebo on it.

Also, thoughts on GFCI breakers vs first outlet?

Replace 20 amp dual pole for pump and SWG with a GFCI version?

Thanks!

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 11
Replace 20 amp dual pole for pump and SWG with a GFCI version?
Put the pump, SWCG and Heater on the GFCI breaker. I have all 3 on my 20 amp and works fine.
You also want the SWCG and Heater to only power on when the pump turns on so if you are not using the timer then need to figure that out. Can the pump controller handle the SWCG and Heater? I am not familiar with your B&D pump. You could put the SWCG and Heater on the load side of the timer and sync the timer to your pump timer.
Keep the lights on the 120V GFCI receptacle.
Put the gazebo and any other non-pool items on a separate breaker.
You want to be able to troubleshoot any issues and isolate pool equipment from non-pool equipment.

Put the pump, SWCG and Heater on the GFCI breaker. I have all 3 on my 20 amp and works fine.
You also want the SWCG and Heater to only power on when the pump turns on so if you are not using the timer then need to figure that out. Can the pump controller handle the SWCG and Heater? I am not familiar with your B&D pump. You could put the SWCG and Heater on the load side of the timer and sync the timer to your pump timer.
Keep the lights on the 120V GFCI receptacle.
Put the gazebo and any other non-pool items on a separate breaker.
You want to be able to troubleshoot any issues and isolate pool equipment from non-pool equipment.

Thanks for the reply. As I am doing some reading I am realizing that the SWG needs to know when the pump is running. The B&D pump I have is variable speed. It's default schedule has it running 18 hours in a day (8am to 2am) then taking a 6 hour break. The issue with the mechanical timer is when power is lost at my house (happens fairly often unfortunately), the timer stops and the time gets messed up. That is why I was looking to take the timer out of the equation. Also the programming on the variable speed pump is obviously nicer. I think some users just have the pump run 24/7 which is a possibility.

To answer your question, I don't think the Black and Decker pump controller can handle any other pool components.

I think I may look in to the "current sensing relay" route

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.